Strange problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Grosso

Chris Grosso
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:50 AM

At a shoot yesterday I noticed a weird thing with the SDX900. We were shooting a studio scene with a blown out white background, wide shot. If I moved anything close to the lens (flag, hand) I noticed that the picture looked washed out as if there is a transparent white haze over the image. If I moved it away then the image looks crisp again again.

The only thing I can think of is the auto knee setting was on....any ideas? Thanks!

Also....since I'm here....anyone know how I can get the return button on my lens to work?

#2 Jim Feldspar

Jim Feldspar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Student

Posted 05 January 2007 - 10:33 AM

At a shoot yesterday I noticed a weird thing with the SDX900. We were shooting a studio scene with a blown out white background, wide shot. If I moved anything close to the lens (flag, hand) I noticed that the picture looked washed out as if there is a transparent white haze over the image. If I moved it away then the image looks crisp again again.

The only thing I can think of is the auto knee setting was on....any ideas? Thanks!

Also....since I'm here....anyone know how I can get the return button on my lens to work?

"a transparent white haze over the image." that almost sounds like severe "veiling" that look
you sometimes get when you don't have a lens hood or French flag (and don't have any obvious
sources for potential flares to make you think that you might need one but the light from the
horizon sky-above your flag- still milks up your image.) It doesn't sound like that should have
happened in your case but is there anything else that you could have been doing/affecting along
those lines?

#3 Chris Grosso

Chris Grosso
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2007 - 04:44 PM

"a transparent white haze over the image." that almost sounds like severe "veiling" that look
you sometimes get when you don't have a lens hood or French flag (and don't have any obvious
sources for potential flares to make you think that you might need one but the light from the
horizon sky-above your flag- still milks up your image.) It doesn't sound like that should have
happened in your case but is there anything else that you could have been doing/affecting along
those lines?

I didn't have any lens flare, I had a flag set up to take care of that. I was in an all white studio...painted cyc and floor. The white haze only appeared when I moved something near the lens....about a foot away. I first noticed it when I moved a flag, then when I set the flag it went away. I then simply moved my hand in front of the lens and noticed it as my hand was there..but it went away as soon as I moved my hand. I had the auto knee setting on....but nothing really out of the ordinary setting wise...

#4 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:41 PM

Could light have been bouncing off of your hand onto the lens? You could have been creating veiling with your hand. I know it's not likely....

#5 Scott Imler

Scott Imler
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:32 PM

I didn't have any lens flare, I had a flag set up to take care of that. I was in an all white studio...painted cyc and floor. The white haze only appeared when I moved something near the lens....about a foot away. I first noticed it when I moved a flag, then when I set the flag it went away. I then simply moved my hand in front of the lens and noticed it as my hand was there..but it went away as soon as I moved my hand. I had the auto knee setting on....but nothing really out of the ordinary setting wise...

Were you seeing this in the viewfinder or the monitor?
It may be a monitor problem in that it was not able to handle the extreme contrast of the dark flag against the white wall.Did you try recording and playing it back and watch it in the viewfinder or another monitor as the B/W viewfinder may not show the change.The auto knee may have been compensating as you moved the flag in and out. You would have to turn it off and do another test to confirm it.

Edited by Scott Imler, 12 February 2007 - 02:35 PM.

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets