#1 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 05 January 2007 - 08:36 PM

For those of you following the Captain Video equipment saga of his latest adventure, here's another chapter. My 50 and 75 mm anamorphic lenses arrived today along with my matte box, a big follow focus and an extra set of Russian electronics. I am now completely, ultra, uuber jazzed now!!!!. I still need to get a 100mm anamorphic lens and a 35mm is I can find one, a anamorphic gate, a desquesser viewfinder and a video tap but things are DEFINATELY moving forward. I also, with some reservations, bought a used set of Solid Cine MK1 electronics on Ebay. I know it's risky but I'm only into them for a $160 bucks and the guy says they were in perfect working order when pulled to have Aranda's electronics put in when they converted the camera to a 2 perf setup. The guy has impecable feedback and almost 500 replies so I figure it's a good gamble. I still need to get someone to install them though. I put in an email to Solid Cine but so far no response. I'm hoping I can find someone else to do the installation should they not be able to do the work or al least get a wiring diagram for the setup.
The anamorphics look great although the 75mm has what looks like a tiny bit of dust, 2 light scratches and what looks like an air bubble or very tiny chip in the outer bottom edge. I'm a little concerned about that but all in all they seem to be in great shape. Steve Morton in Austrailia makes an adaptor for the Konvas desquesser to fit the Kinor so unless I can find the OEM part, I may have to go that direction. The matte box is the fixed metal type (as oposed to the bellows type) and looks like the smaller sized one so it may require a French flag but came totally complete with a case in almost mint condition. The follow focus is also near perfect. I got everything for like 3 grand plus shipping so I think I did OK on it, anyway I needed the stuff so I figure it doesn't matter. Ya gotta have it, ya gotta have it so what ya gonna do? Anyone know how I can get ahold of the diagrams for the Solid Cine stuff or any of their guys over there? B)

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 January 2007 - 12:18 AM

The truth is that you can get used to shooting through a viewfinder that doesn't unsqueeze the image; it's just a mental adjustment. Plus if your viewfinder is not particularly large, clear, and bright anyway, you'll find it easier to judge focus by leaving the image squeezed and big, rather than unsqueezed and letterboxed, but smaller.

What you can do is just make sure that your video tap / monitor set-up unsqueezed the image electronically so you can quickly judge the corrected scope composition now & then by looking at the monitor, but operate and compose by looking at the unsqueezed viewfinder image. I mean, compositional tricks like the Rule of Thirds still can be applied to a squeezed image.

#3 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 06 January 2007 - 12:51 AM

Thanks for the advice, Dave. Kinors are notorious for having somewhat dark viewfinders anyway and with the beam-splitter mirror that is required for the video tap on these things, it'll have even less light coming though so if I can live with the standard viewfinder, that's probably the best way to go. Who makes an electronic box that desqueezes the image for the monitor and playback?

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

CineTape

CineLab