#1 Justin Lovell

Justin Lovell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto

Posted 06 January 2007 - 08:51 PM

Has anyone else noticed this? I've noticed it in feature films and on smaller local telecined work. I believe it happens when the colorist has to pump more light onto the image to make a denser image. For example if the film was overexposed and more light has to hit the image to make the blacks become black/rich.

I noticed it, most recently, in "tristain and isolde" during some of the night scenes. The characters were sillhouetted and had what appeared to be a rim light around them, however, I don't think this was the case. I think it was more of an issue with the scanner not being able to handle the density of the film/amount of light being punched into the image during the transfer. This created a white halo/outline around anything that was deep black.

Does anyone have any insight on this, or have any more familiarity with it?

I ask because I am learning some techniques as a colorist and have found the only way to avoid this 'halo' around the dark objects is to set the printer lights fairly neutral, giving a FLAT washed out image (with blacks around 15-20% and whites around 40-50%), then with additional Color correction, bring the gamma down (to slicken up the image), the blacks down (to 0%- to give richer blacks), and pull the whites up (80-85% to add contrast).

Any advice is appreciated.

Edited by Justin Lovell, 06 January 2007 - 08:53 PM.

#2 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:23 AM

I'm not exactly sure what your referencing, having not see that film yet for one thing. If you could provide some stills that would be helpful.

Could the halo also be from a hint of a very strong backlight, causing halation on the negative?

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Opal

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera