3 replies to this topic

#1 M Joel W

M Joel W
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Student

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:51 AM

I've been looking around for a high output but very cheap fill light (to bounce off ceilings, so precise control is NOT an issue) and was considering either a lowel DP light, an arrilite 1k, or a 575w hmi with CTB3/4. I have very little money so the lowel DP light or even a totabrite were tops on my list. I gather that fresnels are dimmer and more expensive so this is not what I want.

Then I heard about parnels, which are apparently a cross between a par can and a fresnel. I read that the 575w parnel is four times as efficient as a fresnel or open face, merely less controllable. Is this the case if I bounce it, or is it just because it is an intensely focused beam. What do people think of these lights?

Also, are there any affordable 575w HMIs? I know it's a lot of money compared with the other options but it is much more versitile, too.

Thanks,

-Matt

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:29 AM

Hi,

Look around stage, club and architectural lighting catalogues for cheap discharge lighting. Much of the smaller stuff will be MSR - 4000K, reasonable CRI, certainly available in at least 150W and 575W types with interchangeable fresnel lenses. Often iron ballasts so not flicker free and usually not hot restrike. Can't recall a maker's name but I seem to recall mine came from an Italian outfit in a rather nice diecast shell.

Cheap as chips.

Phil

#3 M Joel W

M Joel W
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Student

Posted 07 January 2007 - 01:52 PM

Wow, that sounds phenomenal. I looked briefly online and didn't find much but I'll do a little more research later. A few 575w HMI pars would be fantastic, and I actually prefer 4000K to 5600K in most instances, since I typically gel "day" motivated lights with 1/2CTB rather than full. If you have any more information on where you got your particular par cans that would be great, otherwise I'll just look online and request cataologues where I can.

I've been using a 400w growth lamp for a while, by the way, but the shape of the lamp is really unusable for most situations and the ballast is loud. It sure is bright, though.

#4 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 09 January 2007 - 01:17 AM

I got my cheap PAR cans from Dr. Bob's:

http://www.prolighti...com/parcans.php

Tai Audio

Abel Cine