#1 chris reynolds

chris reynolds
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • London

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:08 AM

i was told recently that when 'hollywood' D.p's use H.D that they'll use a daylight filter infront of the lens instead uf using the cameras filter wheel?

Any truth to that?

Also i've been using a 17 inch Panasconic H.d screen (B.T lh1700we) and it really doesn't show up that well (colours really seemed washed out). A fault with me or is it just not a well made screen!! What has everyone else been using?

chris

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:50 AM

Hi,

No point in not using the filter wheel. It's in a position that's highly unlikely to cause filter shadowing or reflection problems, it's unlikely to get dirty, and it doesn't affect the balance of the camera. You're shooting through a filter no matter what position you put the wheel in, so there's nothing to be gained optically by leaving it in one particular position.

Phil

#3 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:19 AM

I can't speak for the Panasonic, although I've heard good reports, but with the Sony LCD HD monitor you really need to be square on otherwise everything drops off extremely quickly. It can be scary when you glance at the monitor picture in passing.

#4 Keith Mottram

Keith Mottram
  • Sustaining Members
  • 824 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:40 AM

damn good lcd monitor that one- used it daily until i got its 24" brother.

keith

#5 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:35 AM

Also i've been using a 17 inch Panasconic H.d screen (B.T lh1700we) and it really doesn't show up that well (colours really seemed washed out). A fault with me or is it just not a well made screen!! What has everyone else been using?

chris

You may just need to calibrate it.

#6 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:02 AM

i was told recently that when 'hollywood' D.p's use H.D that they'll use a daylight filter infront of the lens instead uf using the cameras filter wheel?

Any truth to that?

chris

Hi Chris,

The Viper does not have daylight cc filters, so that could be the reason. They would probably add 20-30 magenta as well!

Stephen

#7 chris reynolds

chris reynolds
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • London

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:40 AM

cheers guys

the filter wheel question was asked to me after something a D.P read (no idea what magazine or what camera was in question), but the gist of the question was that the daylight filter on the camera wasn't as good as using an 85 filter on the front lens. :blink:

#8 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:45 AM

cheers guys

the filter wheel question was asked to me after something a D.P read (no idea what magazine or what camera was in question), but the gist of the question was that the daylight filter on the camera wasn't as good as using an 85 filter on the front lens. :blink:

Hi Chris,

There was a time when the filters were not all the same thickness, causing backfocus issues.

Stephen

#9 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:14 PM

Sony cameras typically come with a "Sony orange" filter in the "D" switch that is warmer than an 85B, so some rental houses have replaced the star filter (in the "A" slot I believe) with a real 85B filter, giving you a cooler effect than the "D" filter.

But in general, there's no reason to not use the filter wheel. Even in the "clear" setting for 3200K (the "B" slot) there is a clear filter there, not an empty hole, so the back-focus doesn't shift. So in a sense, you're always using the filter wheel.

Abel Cine

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

CineTape