#1 Sol Train Saihati

Sol Train Saihati
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Gaffer
  • London

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:24 AM

Simple question: Is it necessary to open the aperture when shooting slow motion on digital formats?

#2 Alex Haspel

Alex Haspel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • vienna, austria

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:59 AM

Simple question: Is it necessary to open the aperture when shooting slow motion on digital formats?

if you shoot with a video camera that is only capable of 25fps or 50i and you add the slowmotion in post, then no.
if you shoot with a video camera capable of variable frame rates like the hvx200/varicam/etc then you have to compensate for the exposure loss one way or another. you could do this opening the iris, adding more light or using digital gain.

#3 Troy Warr

Troy Warr
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Other
  • Austin, TX, USA

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:08 AM

Simple answer is yes. The laws of physics still dictate that each time you half the exposure time of the CCD/CMOS, you have to double the light passing through the aperture. In this sense digital is no different than film.

But, in practice, I don't think it can be quite that simple. I think it also depends on how the camera generates its slow motion, which isn't always in exactly the same way as a film-based camera. The Sony HVR-V1U, for example, shoots a burst of 240 fields (not frames) per second, so I would assume (and somebody please correct me if I'm wrong here) that you wouldn't need to compensate for the reduced shutter speed by opening the aperture as much as with a film camera, on that particular camera. Ultimately, though, you're still bound to the laws of physics.

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:51 PM

If you change the shutter speed or frame rate in the camera, you have to compensate for the exposure. But if you don't and create the slow-motion entirely in post, then you don't have to adjust the exposure.

However, most people converting 60i/50i footage to slow-motion in post will at least shorten the shutter speed to reduce motion blur on each field, like to something like 1/100th of a second -- in which case you would have to account for the exposure loss from shortening the shutter speed.

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

Glidecam

Technodolly

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

CineLab

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc