#1 super8film

super8film

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:10 PM

My broadcast engineering duties had me at the Chiefs vs. Colts wild card game on Saturday, and while walking the field after the game, I noticed a small remnant on the sideline which was a sure sign that NFL Films had been present...

Posted Image

For the record, that particular scrap was 7218 (Vision2 500T), although I wouldn't be surprised if they shoot a variety of stocks at any given game. Also, I was curious as to whether they used any special filters under artificial stadium light, however none of the 16mm cameras I spotted on the sidelines during pre-game appeared to be outfitted with filters.

If there's anyone associated with NFL Films lurking about, give yourself a big pat on the back...you all do excellent work!

#2 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:40 PM

God bless Steve Sabol

May he never go video.

Excellent photo, by the way! You should send it to NFL Films, they'd probably appreciate it.

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank, 08 January 2007 - 05:41 PM.

#3 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:11 PM

There was a great interview on Kodak's "Exposed" promotional DVD about NFL Films and their history and love of film. They believe that NFL Football is the most filmed thing since World War II.

I've seen some of those films in high def, and they are amazing... especially the ever-present slow motion shots.

#4 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:21 PM

There was a great interview on Kodak's "Exposed" promotional DVD about NFL Films and their history and love of film. They believe that NFL Football is the most filmed thing since World War II.

I've seen some of those films in high def, and they are amazing... especially the ever-present slow motion shots.

Do they shoot all the play off games or just a few. I was wondering this as I watched (from a couch) my beloved Patriots march all over the Jets Sunday

Chris

#5 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:29 PM

Do they shoot all the play off games or just a few. I was wondering this as I watched (from a couch) my beloved Patriots march all over the Jets Sunday
Chris

I would assume they do so they have better coverage of whichever team goes on to win the Super Bowl

#6 super8film

super8film

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:41 PM

Excellent photo, by the way! You should send it to NFL Films, they'd probably appreciate it.

Thanks. It can be difficult to get artsy with a small point and shoot digital camera, but I did my best to get a decent photo. I think my Canon's macro function did a decent job.

Do they shoot all the play off games or just a few. I was wondering this as I watched (from a couch) my beloved Patriots march all over the Jets Sunday.

I believe NFL Films covers all regular season and post-season games. My understanding is that the size of the NFL Films crew at a game increases as the significance of the game increases. For example, first round playoffs likely have a larger crew than a regular season game, second round playoff games likely have a larger crew than a first round game, and so on.

#7 Martin Yernazian

Martin Yernazian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Director
  • San Francisco/Los Angeles CA USA

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:07 PM

Great Photo ....
I wish the shot the Soccer games in Super 16 ( or film)
they will look soo nice!!!

#8 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:17 AM

Teehee ... wonder if they left it on purpose. Take that, HD broadcasters!

Those camera ops do an amazing job pulling their own focus.

#9 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 January 2007 - 06:58 PM

super8film, please change your user name to your real first and last name. It's a requirement on this board.
Thanks.

#10 Kenny N Suleimanagich

Kenny N Suleimanagich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 04 February 2007 - 06:38 PM

I'm watching the superbowl right now, and I just saw a camera op holding an Aaton, looks like an XTR, but yeah that made me smile and reminded me of this topic. Anyone else spot any 16mm?

#11 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 February 2007 - 08:40 PM

Living in Australia, I admit that I have never seen any of NFL Films' work but I think that this is a truly great idea - shooting sporting games on film for a high quality 'look.' Of course utilising film for sporting events was once so common in the 70s, 60s and earlier, until video dominated in the 1980s. Shooting sport on film in the old days was taken for granted because it was the norm. I see that NFL Films' use of the medium in this day and age is creating a very special product. I wish there was something similar happening in Australia. Whenever I see film footage of sports from the old days, I'm used to seeing the grain and the vintage colours - though with NFL Films, it will be interesting see the use of modern film stocks for this application.

#12 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:45 PM

My broadcast engineering duties had me at the Chiefs vs. Colts wild card game on Saturday, and while walking the field after the game, I noticed a small remnant on the sideline which was a sure sign that NFL Films had been present...

Posted Image

For the record, that particular scrap was 7218 (Vision2 500T), although I wouldn't be surprised if they shoot a variety of stocks at any given game. Also, I was curious as to whether they used any special filters under artificial stadium light, however none of the 16mm cameras I spotted on the sidelines during pre-game appeared to be outfitted with filters.

If there's anyone associated with NFL Films lurking about, give yourself a big pat on the back...you all do excellent work!

Did you have a compunction to dive on the film like it was a fumble to save it from the light?

Wait, wait, I have another, If you take a picture of a strip of NFL films, are you violating their copyright because you are reproducing NFL footage?

Cinematography.com, bringing you the views from all the cool venues.

#13 Joe Anderson

Joe Anderson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York, NY

Posted 05 February 2007 - 01:28 AM

1- This month (Feb. 07) there is a segment on HBO's Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel about NFL Films and its creator Ed Sabol.

2- "NFL Films has made the National Football League the second-most documented subject on film behind World War II."
http://www.cbsnews.c...ain595946.shtml

#14 Kenny N Suleimanagich

Kenny N Suleimanagich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 05 February 2007 - 01:55 AM

1- This month (Feb. 07) there is a segment on HBO's Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel about NFL Films and its creator Ed Sabol.

2- "NFL Films has made the National Football League the second-most documented subject on film behind World War II."
http://www.cbsnews.c...ain595946.shtml

What beautiful, inspiring, and well written article.

#15 Casey Ferguson

Casey Ferguson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other
  • Bozeman, MT

Posted 05 February 2007 - 02:10 AM

I'm pretty sure I saw an Arriflex SR as well.

I'm watching the superbowl right now, and I just saw a camera op holding an Aaton, looks like an XTR, but yeah that made me smile and reminded me of this topic. Anyone else spot any 16mm?

I'm pretty sure I saw an Arriflex SR as well.

#16 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:23 PM

Yup, I saw the arri too. looked like an XTR to me, but it was a short shot.

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

CineTape

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Abel Cine