#1 Tyler Leisher

Tyler Leisher
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Director
  • El Segundo, CA

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:31 PM

Hi, I'm looking for a good inexpensive (Sub-$400) camera for short films and family outings.. I'm a student and new to cinematography and I'm just looking for a good solid camera that I can make simple movies with and then transfer to my computer to edit in Premiere Pro.

So I'm curious, should I find a good Hi8 camera, or should I go with MiniDV?

If I go with 8mm, how do I transfer from tape to the computer?

Thanks in advance.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 January 2007 - 11:14 PM

I'd keep things simple and use a Mini-DV camera that allows you to go from your camera (as a tape playback device) to your computer using a firewire connection. Since Hi-8 was an analog video format, I doubt any of the cameras have a firewire-out. There are A-D converters out there (analog-to-digital) but that would be an additional piece of equipment, plus there would be some loss of quality.

#3 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:19 PM

The Sony EVW-300 which is a Hi8 ENG supplies over 700 lins of resolution...well and truly 0wning Mini DV.

#4 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:29 PM

The Sony EVW-300 which is a Hi8 ENG supplies over 700 lins of resolution...well and truly 0wning Mini DV.

But it doesn't cost $400.00 dollars or less???

The Sony family of TRV-digital 8 camcorders are a pretty good choice. Just make sure it doesn't have "touch screen" technology instead of push buttons. I don't know if they are still making non-touch screen digital 8 camcorders so you may have to resort the many sneaky and misrepresenting sellers of eBay.

#5 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:35 PM

If you want to go 8mm tape, get a Digital8 camera, they at least have a DV port for easy transfer to your computer. I have one, but it's ONLY for transferring old Hi8 tapes for editing. So yeah, if you're wanting a new camera, DON'T get it. Hi8 is going away and will be gone soon.

Panasonic makes some pretty nice consumer level 3-CCD cameras, amazing color for a little DV camera. This is the cheapest model: http://www2.panasoni...000000000005702

Might be above your price range, but quality wise it might be worth it.

#6 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:51 PM

But it doesn't cost $400.00 dollars or less???

How much does it cost, I find it very interesting.

#7 ken wood

ken wood
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 January 2007 - 05:31 PM

How much does it cost, I find it very interesting.

Matthew,
My Son gave me a Sony Digital 8 DCR-TRV280 for Christmas. I works great. It only lacks AV In so I can't use it with a helmet cam. Still working on a work-a-round for this.
Supports iLink and USB. Comes with software. Piece of cake to transfer to PC. I think you can find this item for around $225.
Tapes are cheap. This is not the latest hardware but the price is certainly right.
ken wood

#8 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student

Posted 09 January 2007 - 05:37 PM

Thanks...but I meant the Sony EVW-300. :D

#9 Troy Warr

Troy Warr
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Other
  • Austin, TX, USA

Posted 09 January 2007 - 05:56 PM

Tyler,

I think David is absolutely right. It's been a long time since I even looked at an analog format like Hi-8 - but I know that you'd need an analog-digital converter like David mentioned, and I think a decent one can run close to $200, not to mention the added complexity of digitization that you don't find with miniDV.

With miniDV, simply tape some footage, hook the camera up to an IEEE-1394/FireWire port on your PC (it may have one already, but if not, a PCI card will cost you less than $20). Be sure that you get the right kind of cable - most are 4-pin to 6-pin, the former being the end that plugs into the camera, the latter, into the PC.

Then all you need to do is ingest the footage into Premiere using your camera as a deck. It's pretty quick and painless, and almost certainly cheaper/easier than Hi-8.

CES 2007 is going on right now, so there are a ton of brand new, exciting miniDV models coming out in the near future. Keep an eye on this feature for all the latest news. My first miniDV camcorder was a $400 Canon ZR60, and I absolutely loved it. They've come a *long* way, and a camera like the Canon ZR800 would be a great choice for you, in my opinion. It should hit the street for about $250. Use the rest of your budget for an extra high-capacity battery, cleaning cassette, tapes, case, a UV and/or circular polarizing filter, lens cleaner, and maybe a wide- or teleconverter attachment lens.

Best of luck to you!

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Visual Products

CineLab

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS