4 replies to this topic

#1 Chance Shirley

Chance Shirley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Director

Posted 09 January 2007 - 05:40 PM

Does anyone know where I can get an user's guide to the Aaton ACT 12 V battery charger? I assume the one I have is from the early to mid 80s.

Thanks...

#2 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 09 January 2007 - 10:50 PM

I think you have one of our 3-port chargers, actually from the 90s. The ACT on the front is for Abel Cine Tech. On the back it should say Ax3 right above the serial number. It's pretty easy to use -- the original instructions were printed on the bottom of the charger. If this is the case I can tell you whatever you need to know.

#3 Chance Shirley

Chance Shirley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Director

Posted 10 January 2007 - 07:46 PM

Hey, Mitch.

That does sound like my charger. Unfortunately, mine doesn't have instructions on the bottom.

Through trial and error, I've figured out if you plug in a battery and press the appropriate button once, it flashes red for a while then turns green when the battery is charged. It seems to do something different if you press the button twice. Any idea what this is?

Also, I've heard this charger drains the batteries before charging, to avoid building up bad battery "memory." Is this true?

Lastly, do you know if it's safe to leave a battery on the charger for an extended period of time? Any danger of overcharging a battery or anything?

Thanks...

Edited by Chance Shirley, 10 January 2007 - 07:47 PM.

#4 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:51 PM

I don't have one in front of me at the moment, but the box is so simple to use that there's not much going on there.

Three ports, plug into any of them. Flip the switch on the front to either normal or fast mode. In normal mode all three ports charge simultaneously, tricklingin 500ma each. In fast mode the ports charge sequentially at 2amps each. Plug a battery into a port and push the square button above. It will flash red quickly for about 10 seconds while it feeds some power to the battery and reads the cells. Then it will go into a charge mode, flashing slowly red in normal or solid red in fast. The green led will light when the battery is done. The charger does not discharge, and we have a separate discharger if you want one of those. If the green & red leds flash on & off then there is either no battery plugged into that port or something wrong with the battery. If the leads are gray cable then the charger can handle Nicad or NiMH cells. If the leads are black then they can charger only Nicads, although they are good for any nicads, even the 16v onboards or other manufacturer's batteries.

We don't have in stock for sale and have no plans at the moment to build more, as Aaton currently makes a pretty nice charger of their own. But the Ax3 is a great unit and I own one myself for my camera package.

#5 Chance Shirley

Chance Shirley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Director

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for all that info!

I'll have to look into one of those dischargers, I guess...

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam