Fuji changed decision: Production of Single-8 films will go on

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 filmfreund

filmfreund
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:53 AM

The japanese photo brand Fuji retracts a former statement to stop the production of Single-8 films. On January 10th Fuji announced: "Our Single-8 films both R25N and RT200N were going to finish the production in March 2007 and its processing service was going to finish in September 2008. However due to the consumer's strong wish, we decided to change our plan and continue the film production and processing service. The sales quantities of the Single-8 is decleasing, also it is necesary to repair the film production machine and processing machine, therefore I would like to ask the customer to understand raising the price."

Tak Kohyama, owner of the Japanese company retro8.com, explained: "There was a lot of protest from professional film directors and amateurs here in Japan. Newspapers like Asahi published articles about the protest. The public made Fuji change his mind." More details in the next issue of smallformat.

Juergen Lossau
www.smallformat.de

#2 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:43 PM

The japanese photo brand Fuji retracts a former statement to stop the production of Single-8 films. On January 10th Fuji announced: "Our Single-8 films both R25N and RT200N were going to finish the production in March 2007 and its processing service was going to finish in September 2008. However due to the consumer's strong wish, we decided to change our plan and continue the film production and processing service. The sales quantities of the Single-8 is decleasing, also it is necesary to repair the film production machine and processing machine, therefore I would like to ask the customer to understand raising the price."

Tak Kohyama, owner of the Japanese company retro8.com, explained: "There was a lot of protest from professional film directors and amateurs here in Japan. Newspapers like Asahi published articles about the protest. The public made Fuji change his mind." More details in the next issue of smallformat.
Juergen Lossau
www.smallformat.de

The introduction of two Super-8 magazines (which also carry advertising and articles about regular 8 and single-8) can add a very subliminal but positive effect to the overall viability of the format. The magazines, unless thrown away, have a multiplying affect as they are shared with others.

If you haven't considered subscribing to one or both super-8 magazines, please consider it. If Fuji is willing to listen to it's public, then your vote does matter, and purchasing a subscription to one or both super-8 magazines (Super-8 Today and Small Format Magazine) is a great way to vote.

Of course, so is shooting a cartridge or two of 8mm film. :D

#3 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 10 January 2007 - 05:28 PM

Oh brilliant. :)

I was worried, I saw some Fujichrome R25 and was mesmerised, I'm glad it's staying.

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc