#1 james smyth

james smyth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Student

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:25 PM

Hello,

I've landed some regular rolls PAing for various commercial shoots. My ultimate goal is to become a camera assistant. What do you think is the best way to make the shift to the camera department? I hear having leather work gloves on your belt can help you move into gripping, are there any similar tips for the camera?

#2 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:31 AM

A good start would be to introduce yourself to all of the assistants on the jobs you're on and ask them if you can help them in any way. Check in with them throughout the day and let them know when you are available to help carry cases or get them a bottle of water. Once you know certain assistants for a while they will probably start asking you to help them when you're around. Let them know that you're interested in getting into the camera department. Also, if you ever do a run to the rental house when the 1st is prepping, ask them if they could teach you to load a mag if the opportunity presents itself. If they know you can load you may just find yourself being asked to load a mag or two when they're super busy one day. One thing leads to another.....

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Opal

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC