#1 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:41 AM

Just saw it tonight at a sneak preview. A really great doc, shot in HD and it had me fooled. I thought large portions of it were at least shot on 16mm, but I haven't found any evidence to confirm that suspicion.

Despite the cinematographic qualities of the film, it's really a great story about Sudanese refugees coming to the US.

Very much worth seeing.

#2 Chris Durham

Chris Durham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York, NY

Posted 11 January 2007 - 11:43 PM

Just saw the preview yesterday. Glad to hear it's as good as it looks - I'm really looking forward to it.

#3 Peter Moretti

Peter Moretti
  • Sustaining Members
  • 306 posts
  • Other
  • Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:48 AM

There is a VERY obvious widening of the image near the right and left sides of the frame.

Does anyone know if this was an effect done by a lens filter or was it a post-production technique?

Thanks much!

#4 Jason Reimer

Jason Reimer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Student
  • Rochester, NY

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:30 AM

I missed it when it was showing here (probably almost a year ago), but I did catch it on video a few months ago. I'm surprised it's still in theaters anywhere now, as it's been out for a while. Great film, though.

Somewhat on topic, there is a group called the Alliance for African Assistance that helps african refugees assimilate when they get here to the States. One thing they always need help with is getting ahold of household items like pots & pans, light bulbs, soap, basically non-food items you'd have in your house. When a refugee comes to the US, they get 3 months worth of support in the form of a monthly stipend that usually just barely covers rent, and food stamps. So those other items usually slip through the cracks as they don't have the spare cash for it, and they're not food items, hence the need for groups like the Alliance to help them out. I'm sure there are others who do the same in every major city. Buying extra of some of those things and donating them to those groups is a great way to help some people who have experienced a life that most of us will never know anything about. I've been kicking around shooting a little short documentary profile of one or two of the people they work with here in San Diego and showing it at my church and to whoever would be interested, just to help them get their message out. Anyone who's seen the film would agree that those kinds of people need their voices heard somehow.

Anyway, I'll step off my soapbox now so we can resume the cinematography discussion... :)

Willys Widgets

CineTape

Visual Products

Opal

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam