Photo

Recording production audio directly into a Mac?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Keller

Jim Keller
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Producer
  • Fresno, CA

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:47 PM

I know this is going to seem like an oddball question, but I can't believe I'm the only person who's ever considered this, and if it's a terrible idea I'd love to know before I try it...

I'm currently developing a new video project that is going to be very audio-intensive, but which needs to be recorded live. Needless to say, my camera's two built-in audio inputs are not going to be sufficient for recording the audio. No matter what we do, we're going to have to have a number of mics going into a mixer to get the audio we need.

So, my question is this: Has anyone out there ever attempted recording your audio directly into your Mac while simultaneously shooting video for later sync?

I'm assuming I'd use my old film slate and synchronize the video and audio start times the old-fashioned way, but I'm wondering what hardware/software you've used (I normally edit in the Final Cut Studio), how the sync is over long shots (we're expecting 7-10 minute takes), and what things I haven't anticipated that I should be watching out for.

And, if this is a terrible idea, I'd love to know if there's a better way to approach the "get a good, editable recording of many voices/intruments for video" problem.

Thanks!

#2 Dennis Kisilyov

Dennis Kisilyov
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 February 2007 - 04:12 AM

I know this is going to seem like an oddball question, but I can't believe I'm the only person who's ever considered this, and if it's a terrible idea I'd love to know before I try it...

I'm currently developing a new video project that is going to be very audio-intensive, but which needs to be recorded live. Needless to say, my camera's two built-in audio inputs are not going to be sufficient for recording the audio. No matter what we do, we're going to have to have a number of mics going into a mixer to get the audio we need.

So, my question is this: Has anyone out there ever attempted recording your audio directly into your Mac while simultaneously shooting video for later sync?

I'm assuming I'd use my old film slate and synchronize the video and audio start times the old-fashioned way, but I'm wondering what hardware/software you've used (I normally edit in the Final Cut Studio), how the sync is over long shots (we're expecting 7-10 minute takes), and what things I haven't anticipated that I should be watching out for.

And, if this is a terrible idea, I'd love to know if there's a better way to approach the "get a good, editable recording of many voices/intruments for video" problem.

Thanks!

Get a multi track digital interface for your mac, and a firewire harddrive. Presonus makes really cheap interfaces where with Cubase/Logic you can record up-to 8 tracks at the same time, and monitor in the Mac Book/G5/Mac Pro.

This way you don't have to mix on location, you can mix in post, Each MIC is mono, so 8 channels is like 4 stereo. So long as you don't apply any realtime efx during the recording and have a separate firewire hard drive thats fast enough for the rolls you can have 24bit 48khz per output in multitrack.

P.S. hard drives make noise. Solid State is always better. Enough noise all ready on the set.

Thanks.

#3 Andres Pardo aka Gral Treegan

Andres Pardo aka Gral Treegan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Director
  • Mexico DF

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:08 AM

Get a multi track digital interface for your mac, and a firewire harddrive. Presonus makes really cheap interfaces where with Cubase/Logic you can record up-to 8 tracks at the same time, and monitor in the Mac Book/G5/Mac Pro.

This way you don't have to mix on location, you can mix in post, Each MIC is mono, so 8 channels is like 4 stereo. So long as you don't apply any realtime efx during the recording and have a separate firewire hard drive thats fast enough for the rolls you can have 24bit 48khz per output in multitrack.
P.S. hard drives make noise. Solid State is always better. Enough noise all ready on the set.

Thanks.

Hi!!
i edit a videohome movie here in mexico city. the audio was recorded in a Mbox 2 tracks at the same time with an ibook G4 and works ok.
for what you say i think youre gonna need around 8 tracks of recording to avoid a premix. echoaudio have nice cards. if not rent 2 fostex pd4 and jam them to record at the same time, this are the best to direct sound.
bye!
treegan

#4 Bernhard Zitz

Bernhard Zitz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Other
  • Z├╝rich, Switzerland

Posted 18 February 2007 - 11:35 AM

This is a nice software to fieldrecord on a mac.

http://www.apple.com...omrecorder.html

it has TC-option, records in Broadcast WAVE and has a nice system for patching and file handling...

cheers, Bernhard

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Opal

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks