Laura Karam

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:06 PM

Hello everyone! :)
This is the first project I have to light and I wanted to see if you guys had any cool ideas, or if any of you had done this before... it's supposed to be a romantic scene by night. It could be indoor or outdoor, and with two actors. Here's what I got: some arri fresnel: 2kw (or a 2kw blonde) 1kw, 650, 300w; two 800w redheads, and reflectors. I can buy any gels and diffusors. I know just it'll be soft light and warm.
Thanks! :)

#2 Donnie Lewis

Donnie Lewis

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Student

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:06 PM

This is the first project I have to light and I wanted to see if you guys had any cool ideas, or if any of you had done this before... it's supposed to be a romantic scene by night. It could be indoor or outdoor, and with two actors. Here's what I got: some arri fresnel: 2kw (or a 2kw blonde) 1kw, 650, 300w; two 800w redheads, and reflectors. I can buy any gels and diffusors. I know just it'll be soft light and warm.

It really depends on what the scene calls for. Softlight and warm is still too broad. Collaborate with art department and decide on location. Maybe then we could come up with ideas.

#3 Jim Feldspar

Jim Feldspar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Student

Posted 11 January 2007 - 07:21 PM

Is there already a scripted scene? If not, why not first figure out what would constitute a romantic scene
for your story. Is it a first date, a marriage proposal, two seniors finding that spark again? Start with the
story and find an exciting way to tell it and show it.

For example, if you decide you'd like to shoot a candlelit dinner and want to know some approaches, that's
when you'll see this forum work as all sorts of different ideas would likely come in.

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19760 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 January 2007 - 07:25 PM

You need to be a lot more specific about the staging and setting of the scene, since most modern lighting is source-motivated to some degree, or least feels natural. Maybe you should collect some photos and movie frames that are an example of what you want, study them, and then try to recreate elements that seem appropriate.

#5 Laura Karam

Laura Karam

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 12 January 2007 - 02:46 AM

hey!
thanks a lot for ur replys. I decided to stage the scene on the terrace of a big house, from where you can see the moon. I was thinking of a marriage proposal and I need one large shot, one medium and a close-up so the CU will perhaps be on the ring... well thanks anyway!
Laura

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Willys Widgets

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

The Slider