Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:18 PM

...in cinematography.

I'm going to tot up all the ages and work out the average age that people start getting that interest in cinematography.

Me: 12.

Best Regards. :D

P.S: If you could also tell me your handedness, I'm going to work that into the equation and look for a connection.

Me: Left handed.

Thanks, and good day/night. :D

#2 Nicholas Jenkins

Nicholas Jenkins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Student
  • Missoula, MT

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:32 PM

I think when I was an undergrad studying photography, I really got interested in how it all worked in motion pictures. Since I loved films, I started to investigate how things were done. Now I'm DPing for other grads in my department.

#3 Chad Stockfleth

Chad Stockfleth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 622 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Louisville, KY

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:51 PM

Was into music since a young age. At 20 I went to school to be an audio engineer, but started to wonder if I would enjoy it as a career (loved it too much to try to make money off it, long hours in windowless studios) so transfered to the film dept. as I'd always had a passing interest in photography. Sets seemed like a lot more fun to be on.

So, 20. Right-handed. Libra/Scorpio cusp. :D

#4 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Minneapolis

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:58 PM

I got interested about 1982, did film school for a few years, eventually ran outta cash. My instructor told our class to save our money and go shoot video for awhile.

Fast forward to 2004-I was in a post house editing a video and saw some Pro8 film transferred to DigiBeta, and thought "wow, that looks great!" Nowadays it's video for money, film for love.

#5 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 12 January 2007 - 05:07 PM

I had a knack for lighting at the age of 21, but I used it mainly as a directing tool and I never thought of a career at a cinematographer...however, I suppose that's when my interest was sparked and it's only grown since then.

So...

Handed: Right

#6 Jason Debus

Jason Debus
  • Sustaining Members
  • 311 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 12 January 2007 - 06:13 PM

The age where I knew for sure that I wanted to get into motion pictures was 34. Before that there was always an interest in art & photography that goes back to when I was probably 9 or 10 when I shot an 8mm 'Star Wars' ripoff.

Right handed.

#7 J. Michael Whalen

J. Michael Whalen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • VA, DC, MD

Posted 12 January 2007 - 07:42 PM

I was about 18 when I was told that all the credit I've been giving to Directors should have gone to Directors of Photography!

Right Handed
Taurus

#8 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student

Posted 12 January 2007 - 08:39 PM

I was about 18 when I was told that all the credit I've been giving to Directors should have gone to Directors of Photography

Could you elaborate, I love these stories.

Matthew Buick, the only southpaw in the village. :(

#9 Harrison Reynolds

Harrison Reynolds
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Student
  • Texas

Posted 12 January 2007 - 08:45 PM

After I had to make a school project last year....i got into it and never looked back, 17.

#10 Kevin Masuda

Kevin Masuda
  • Sustaining Members
  • 209 posts
  • Director

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:37 PM

My dad paints but he was also into photography, same thing with my uncle so I was always around this stuff and naturally got interested.

Kev

Forgot the age, I had a small interest in it when I was around 6 but I really didn't start getting really interested until I was in high school. So you could say that I started making movies when I was 16, I'm 27 now.

Kev

#11 Justin Lipetz

Justin Lipetz

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Student
  • Philadelphia, PA

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:56 AM

I was 12 when I first was interested. I picked up my parents camcorder and was into it ever since. I started off with making documentaries and now I am in film school.

Left handed.

#12 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:39 AM

I made a silent (with music) 8mm short film -- a comedy version of the Trojan War, ala Monty Python-style -- with my friends in Latin class in high school, for a contest at the state Latin convention. I was 13. That was what got me started making movies.

I switched from directing to cinematography when I got to film school at the age of 26. We had to make a Super-8 short in my beginner class, which was easy for me since I had been making Super-8 films for 13 years by that point, so I really showed-off what I could do in Super-8. It was a b&w short with film noir lighting, expressionist camera angles, dolly moves, macro and time-lapse photography.

I not only finished my assignment faster than anyone else... what everyone else brought to class was mostly out-of-focus handheld shots of their friends playing around in a park.

So I got attacked in class for being too slick and commercial. And then everyone who attacked me asked me to shoot their projects after that. So I ended up being a cinematographer by the time I graduated, having shot over a dozen 16mm thesis projects for other people, plus one 35mm short.

#13 Deepak Bajracharya

Deepak Bajracharya
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Nepal

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:05 AM

Namaste,

I developed interest in still photography at the age of 14, shot with manual SLR camera at 17, my dad sent me to study engineering in Russia, instead I got admitted to VGIK, where I studied 1st year course of cinematography and shot 4minutes footage for basic camera operating practical at 22, not able to pay the very high admission fee for the second year as demanded by the institute, returned back home and assisted for more than 35 features and did my first feature as a cinematographer at the age of 31.

Right handed.

With best regards,

#14 Greg Gross

Greg Gross
  • Sustaining Members
  • 869 posts
  • Harrisburg,PA

Posted 13 January 2007 - 02:21 PM

I cannot remember when I was not a photographer. I grew up with all the typical
Kodak cameras. Learned how to develop film in junior high. My first real serious
camera was a Nikon F and just a 50mm/f2 lens. Then over the years I grew to
use almost every Nikon camera that was made. I still use and favor the F4S over
more modern cameras. The film that moved me towards cinematography was the
film "Chinatown". I thought it made the most extraordinary use of color that I had
ever seen in a film. I must admit though that I thought filmmaking was out of reach
for me. I was fortunate to have a movie star in my family and so I got to visit some
movie sets. I'm not going to get in to that here. Anyway that and $1 will buy me a
cup of coffee. From the moment I saw "Chinatown" I was cinema crazy. I did shoot
some 8mm after that and had some problems with exposure and also camera shake
when hand held. I was busy with a phtography business though and had to make time
for filmmaking.

Greg Gross

#15 Dan Salzmann

Dan Salzmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris, France

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:49 PM

I was given a Rolleiflex TLR that my uncle Eddie won in a card game during the war when I was 7 years old.
Apparently I would walk around with it around my neck and look at the world on the ground glass-sort of like a movie in a way. I had to wait a couple of years before I could actually take pictures with it because at that age I could not really understand the concepts of exposure.
So interest in photography started around age 7.
Later made super8 films when I was around 15.
Right handed.

#16 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:20 PM

Oh yeah, didn't mention that. I'm right-handed. Though my Dad, who has been an avid photographer my whole life, is left-handed.

#17 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:30 PM

So I got attacked in class for being too slick and commercial. And then everyone who attacked me asked me to shoot their projects after that. So I ended up being a cinematographer by the time I graduated, having shot over a dozen 16mm thesis projects for other people, plus one 35mm short.

You got attacked!? :blink: You mean with knives and stuff. Boy, I bet they're sorry now.

BWAH HA HAH.

#18 Daniel Smith

Daniel Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:39 PM

Made my first film at 7, with a black and white video camera plugged into VCR, and after that I got a position as P.A on a short film at 15.

#19 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 January 2007 - 02:36 PM

I was either going to be an aerospace systems engineer, or a web designer. Neither attracted me, but they both seemed like reasonably profitable career paths. Then, due to a scheduling conflict, I ended up trying to do the necessary science and engineering components at A-level during an evening class, and given that my marks dropped from the mid-nineties to the low teens, I have no hesitation in blaming the nightschool teaching. So, I wasn't going to be an engineer.

I then went and spent three years proving to everyone exactly what a dismal software engineer I had the potential to be, and graduated directly into the dot-com crunch, which was of course gigantically helpful regarding that sort of work.

So actually I ended up doing little motion-graphics and video jobs for people on the basis that film and TV was what I'd always wanted to do, but had consciously avoided on the basis that it's a fringe artistic interest where I live, not a way to make a living. I spent most of my teenage years watching clever movies and thinking "Cool," but never considered it a realistic career option.

And I was right!

If I'd been able to pass the physics A-level, I'd probably be finishing my materials science MA and working for British Aerosapce by now, pulling down £50k a year and thinking I was terribly clever. Oh, for what might have been...

Phil

PS - Daniel, you aren't calling your position on "Leaving" a P.A., are you? That was a vastly more involved job than most digital imaging technicians do, and I suggest that you take the title to match.

#20 Bhavin Amin

Bhavin Amin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Student

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:15 AM

I picked up interest in photography when I was 15. I couldn't stop shooting on my sister's digital camera. So then I bought a Nikon SLR and began snapping left and right.

However, I switched from photography to an interest in motion pictures while being a sophomore in college.

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Opal

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets