5 replies to this topic

#1 marc barbé

marc barbé
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Director

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:48 PM

Has anybody out there experienced the 24-48ips CP motor made for the Eclair ACL?.
Marc

#2 Kenny N Suleimanagich

Kenny N Suleimanagich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:39 PM

If you're trying to bring back from the dead an old outboard motor for the ACL , I would just recommend scrapping it and getting a motor from Tobin Cinema Systems, they're the best in older camera syncmotor systems

#3 marc barbé

marc barbé
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Director

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:07 PM

If you're trying to bring back from the dead an old outboard motor for the ACL , I would just recommend scrapping it and getting a motor from Tobin Cinema Systems, they're the best in older camera syncmotor systems

Thanks. They don't seem to have anything for ACLs, though.
I am just wondering if the 24-48ips CP motor is as powerfull as the original Eclair 12-75ips motor. I'm concerned about the 4OOft mags and battery drain.
Marc.

#4 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 24 January 2007 - 03:29 AM

I am just wondering if the 24-48ips CP motor is as powerfull as the original Eclair 12-75ips motor. I'm concerned about the 4OOft mags and battery drain.
Marc.

Yes, you are right to be concerned. CP modified original ACL 1 and 1.5 motors to go under and over 24 fps, which is the speed they were designed to run at. CP modified motors are not "heavy duty" as the ACL 2 motor is, or as expensive and hard to find. This motor will run 400' loads with ease and will not flicker as the older and/ or modified motors did when strained by the larger loads. This generally would happen in longer takes, after a couple of minutes of the camera being run without stoping. On shorter takes (around a minute), done after the camera motor has cooled down, you may be able to get away with not getting flicker.
I own an ACL with a 8-48 fps CP modified motor. The previous owner claims it runs 400' loads flickerlessly with the supplied 400' mags. I have no reason not to believe him, but I sincerely doubt it can keep up. I have not put the modified motor to test myslef, however, as I also own 3- 200' mags and prefer using them. I shoot short ends or A-minima 200' loads with it, though. For 400' loads I use my Aaton LTR 7, which has no problem keeping up, of course.

I don't know about the battery drain, though. My battery is a huge custom made Powersonic block that, aside from being big and heavy, simply rocks on long and steady power supply chores.

Best,

Saulie

#5 marc barbé

marc barbé
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Director

Posted 25 January 2007 - 03:07 PM

Marc.

Yes, you are right to be concerned. CP modified original ACL 1 and 1.5 motors to go under and over 24 fps, which is the speed they were designed to run at. CP modified motors are not "heavy duty" as the ACL 2 motor is, or as expensive and hard to find. This motor will run 400' loads with ease and will not flicker as the older and/ or modified motors did when strained by the larger loads. This generally would happen in longer takes, after a couple of minutes of the camera being run without stoping. On shorter takes (around a minute), done after the camera motor has cooled down, you may be able to get away with not getting flicker.
I own an ACL with a 8-48 fps CP modified motor. The previous owner claims it runs 400' loads flickerlessly with the supplied 400' mags. I have no reason not to believe him, but I sincerely doubt it can keep up. I have not put the modified motor to test myslef, however, as I also own 3- 200' mags and prefer using them. I shoot short ends or A-minima 200' loads with it, though. For 400' loads I use my Aaton LTR 7, which has no problem keeping up, of course.

I don't know about the battery drain, though. My battery is a huge custom made Powersonic block that, aside from being big and heavy, simply rocks on long and steady power supply chores.

Best,

Saulie

Thank you Saulie, that's very enlightening. I think I'll wait for an ACL2 motor to come along.
Regards,
Marc.

#6 Ian Marks

Ian Marks
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2007 - 05:39 PM

Clive Tobin discontinued his ACL motor years ago - I don't think it was cost-effective for him to make them given the number of ACL's in use. I obtained one new for much less than the cost of a used CP or ACL2 motor, but the Tobin motor is considerably bulkier than those and noisier to boot. Does the trick, though.

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Abel Cine

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

The Slider