#1 mahesh raj

mahesh raj

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 January 2007 - 08:03 AM

We are planning to shoot a feature in HD camcorder model no. Canon XL H1. I have to clear my doubts about transfering the HD images to Film formate through the Digital Intermediate process. Is it is possible to do that process with your camcorder. What is the frame rate should I select to shoot for this film transfer. May I record the images in the Hard disk directly from the camcorder, I think that if I use the Tape the quality will not be that much superior, what is your suggestion? Shall I take the output from the camcorder to any other the HD PRO recorder, what are the accesories to be use that kind of storage to the tape. our format is pal format hope that i will got some answer

#2 will griffith

will griffith
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:18 PM

clear my doubts about transfering the HD images to Film formate through the Digital Intermediate process.

It isn't actually an intermediate process since you aren't shooting on film.
You capture to tape or directly to disk, edit, grade, etc. and send to lab on hard drive
to print

Is it is possible to do that process with your camcorder.

Just shoot and capture from tape or capture direct during the shoot.

What is the frame rate should I select to shoot for this film transfer.

I would shoot "24f" which is basically 1080p @ 24fps with a shutter of 48 for a somewhat fimic look

May I record the images in the Hard disk directly from the camcorder,

Yes. This is a good way to avoid HDV compression and get the cleanest image, however...it takes a
computer and hard drive array to do so. Not a very portable solution

I think that if I use the Tape the quality will not be that much superior,

HDV recording with the H1 is actually pretty good. Just make sure when shooting anything that
you use the -3dB gain setting (think of gain as film speed iso) the lower number, the cleaner the image.

what is your suggestion? Shall I take the output from the camcorder to any other the HD PRO recorder, what are the accesories to be use that kind of storage to the tape.

One option would be to connect the H1 via HDSDI to a panasonic, sony deck, etc with a lower amount
of compression in the recording.

Best idea is to rent the camera and do some tests yourself. try out the new 6x lens (around 26-135 35mm eqv) that we have been really happy with.

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

CineLab

Opal

Visual Products

Abel Cine