1 reply to this topic

#1 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 January 2007 - 08:30 PM

I've come to think of Andrew Dunn as the closest thing we've got to Geoffrey Unsworth these days, ever since I saw "The Madness of King George" and his use of smoke & diffusion, plus the variety of his lighting, not all strictly soft-light though mostly that.

I saw a "making of" book on "Miss Potter" at Borders and noticed a photo of a camera with a label that said (I think) "8592" and a filter tag that might have said "BF1" (Black Frost 1 maybe -- the "B" was obscured.) 8592 is Fuji Reala 500D, but maybe it said "8582", which is Fuji F-400T. If it was Reala, then I don't know what was used for the night interior work, maybe F-400T since Dunn is fond of low-con negative stocks like Expression 500T.

Curious to see a movie shot on Fuji in a movie theater, I checked this one out.

I expected it to look somewhat soft & grainy with the 500D stock and Black Frost diffusion, but it looked much better than that, but still with a romantic softness. Then I realized that it was shot in anamorphic, not Super-35, which was one reason why the image didn't get too grainy (some shots had that texture but it worked for this period setting). Until I figured out that it was actually shot in anamorphic, I was wondering if they digitally degrained some of the Super-35 photography.

Anyway, some of the darker interiors are nicely lit and the landscapes in the Lake District (and perhaps Scotland and Isle of Man if the credits are correct) look beautiful. The use of the Black Frost diffusion gave it a lovely period look. I'm curious as to what other Fuji stocks were used though. Don't suppose any of the U.K. folks here worked on it?

The credits said "Panavision" so I'm also wondering which anamorphic lenses were used.

Two cutesy, perky, sparkly-eyed, chipmunk-cheeked actresses (Rene Zegwegger and Emily Watson) were a bit much for one movie, and I agree with one critic who suggested that the two actresses should have switched roles, but the movie as a whole was a pleasant experience, if somewhat sacchrine, but what did I expect for a biopic of the writer of "The Tale of Jemima Puddleduck"?

#2 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 17 January 2007 - 04:33 AM

David, i didnt work on it , but i think it was shot on Eterna 500T and 250D . john holland ,London.

Technodolly

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks