2 replies to this topic

#1 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 January 2007 - 08:40 PM

I saw about half of this movie while waiting to pick-up my wife at some event she was at (watching two Finnish movies at the Scandinavian Film Festival).

The production design is staggeringly gorgoeus and over-the-top in color, with many parts of the sets looking almost translucent and backlit for maximum color -- the halls and rooms of the palace glow with reds, yellows, pinks, and cyans.

The lighting was a bit low-contrast most of the time to best show-off all of this color. But that was flattering to Gong Li, who was almost lit like an old-time movie star.

Anyway, it all got a bit repetitive after awhile, unlike most Yimou Zhang movies where there are dramatic changes in location and scenery often (Hero, House of Flying Daggers, etc.) This was like some Technicolor-drenched chamber piece. It was also lacking in much action, but it seemed like the plot was advancing to some all-out action climax which I couldn't stick around to watch.

#2 hans

hans

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 14 January 2007 - 09:35 PM

I saw it as well. Astonishing. This has to grab some tech Oscars. Gong li is still one of the most beautiful women on earth.

#3 Christophe Collette

Christophe Collette
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Montreal, Canada

Posted 22 January 2007 - 02:39 PM

I saw this movie two days ago, I still can't tell if I loved it or not cinematography wise... ... It did not blew my mind like Hero and House of the Flying Daggers did that's for sure... I thought the photography was a bit predictable, meaning that no big risks were taken. Don't get me wrong, it is stunning, but conventionnal also. Too much colors, psychadelic almost, perfectly balanced frames, symmetrical... I was expecting it... Gong Li is superbly photographed, and her performance is insane, really good... Also memorable is Chow Yun Fat...

Should be seen in theaters that's for sure, the deployment and grandeur of it needs a big projection.

Christophe

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Opal

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Abel Cine

Technodolly