New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 January 2007 - 09:12 PM

Hello folks

Am new to this forum so 'hi'

I have a "which camera to buy type question".

I realise after reading lots of reviews and user feedback it can be a bit "it depends what you need it for" but I thought I would ask here as it seems most appropriate and a great forum for that type of thing.

I am currently looking for a decent 'prosumer camera' mainly to use for:

- green screen/ chroma key/ vector key recordings
- location interview/ documentary style recordings
- maybe also some general short film making

Priority is currently in that order.

There is a bias toward needing the right camera to shoot well indoors and have good sound quality - but also have enough spec to be a good allrounder for short films...

OK that's a broad brief.

Ater all my review reading it seems to now be a new battle of

Panasonic AG-DVX100B V Sony HDR- FX1 ?

So I would love to know everyone's opinion on which is the better camera based on using it for say the next 2 years?

Really appreciate any input on this.

I am sat on a fence over these 2 and don't know which one I should buy?I'd like to fall down on one side or the other as soon as I can - hope you can help :-)

Many thanks

Edited by Gareth Sketty, 14 January 2007 - 09:12 PM.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 January 2007 - 09:29 PM

It's just my prejudice, but I wouldn't be interested in the FX1 because it doesn't capture true 24P. However, Sony is coming out with one that does, the HVR-V1:

http://www.dv.com/fe...cleId=194400711
http://www.camcorder...-V1U-Part-1.htm

#3 Gareth Sketty

Gareth Sketty

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 January 2007 - 05:14 AM

Thanks alot David.

From looking at the Sony camera I assume it will be priced higher than the dvx100b? and compete with its bigger brother the 200?

If the final work created is primarlily for web & business dvds do you think we can live without HD for a couple of years ( I am in the UK) the Pansonic is still the people's choice?

Or is it better to have a lower spec but HD camera?

As I ask that question my gut reaction is 'no'...

I realise this kind of turns into an HD debate...and it is common for people to say "if your buying now you should be buying HD" period - but is it such a black and white decision?

Any feedback (or links to other posts if we are going over something that has been covered in depth before) appreciated.

Many thanks

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:50 AM

Unfortunately we're in a transition period so there are no good answers, but if you feel you will get the most out of the camera in the next two years and the end product is for DVD release, then there might not be a reason to deal with HD. Unless you see re-releasing these DVD's over the decade in an HD format (HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.)

Although some people have posted here that if you shoot with a consumer HDV camera but later downconvert to standard def, you can do better chromakeys because you can get around the color resolution limits of a 4:1:1 Mini-DV camera recording since you can work with higher resolutions of red and blue in your compositing software. I don't know the details though but this assumes that the final composite will be for standard def.

#5 grahamstanly

grahamstanly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Student

Posted 31 January 2007 - 04:23 PM

I am with david and I personally would not purchace the fx1 it lacks to many features. I have been looking to buy as well for a few months now, and my choices were narrowed between the 100b, and the HDV cannon XH-A1. I think I am going with the A1. Now I know that wasnt one you were looking at but this camera does of 24 frames, and has TON's of options, sd, or hdv 1080i, ect. its a great pic if you want to go HD, and the Standard def is good as well. The image apears a little flat compared to the panasonic hvx200, but you get what you pay for, the cannon is only 3,400 on www.bhphotovideo.com. It might be smart to go with Hd if you going to buy now because know one can say how long we will be shooting in sd.

Good luck to ya!

CineTape

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport