1 reply to this topic

#1 Ted Hinkle

Ted Hinkle
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 January 2007 - 09:50 PM

Has anybody tried using the Marantz pmd-650 (http://users.aol.com/fmgp/pmd.htm) recording audio with it's Level Sync Recording (LSR) feature???

It seems as if this device would allow me to record audio at the same rate or that would match the (23.976 fps) of a super 8 w/crystal sync, am I right?

Is there a CF compact flash recorder that can do the same? or that has this LSR Level Sync Recording?

Edited by Ted Hinkle, 15 January 2007 - 09:51 PM.

#2 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:09 PM

Has anybody tried using the Marantz pmd-650 (http://users.aol.com/fmgp/pmd.htm) recording audio with it's Level Sync Recording (LSR) feature???

It seems as if this device would allow me to record audio at the same rate or that would match the (23.976 fps) of a super 8 w/crystal sync, am I right?

Is there a CF compact flash recorder that can do the same? or that has this LSR Level Sync Recording?

The first time someone explained the crystal sync concept to me in a super simple manner was back in the early 90's by Phil Vigeant of Pro-8mm. You know the exact speed your super-8 camera is running at because it is running at crystal sync speed, this allows the film to then be played back at the exact same speed in telecine because the running speed is already known entity. The videotape that the film is being transferred to will both record and playback at the exact same speed, these are all constants, and that is a good thing.

Your sound needs to run at the exact same speed in both record mode and playback mode. You don't really have to worry too much about this unless you use an analog audio cassette format (big mistake) or unless somehow when in an NLE environment one uses incorrect menu settings while importing audio. Recap, Audio playsback at the exact same speed as it was recorded at, you're good to go.

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Abel Cine