David Joy

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:31 AM

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking here for a while, but I haven't posted before. So -- I hope you don't mind if I start by asking a question.

I have a recently acquired Super 16 Eclair NPR with three 400' magazines, only one of which I have used in the past (number 1 in the descriptions below).

(What is the correct name for the removable spinning wheel on which the core rests? For the sake of simplicity I've called it a core spool holder, but please feel free to correct me.)

1. 1 x 400', refurbished, with two 400' core spool holders
2. 1 x 400', currently being refurbished, with (IIRC) only one 200' core spool holder
3. 1 x 400', untested, with two 200' core spool holders (bought on ebay a few days ago)

I assume I am right in thinking that you could not load 400 feet of film onto a 200' core spool holder -- not without a risk of jamming the film, anyway? If that's the case, does anyone know where I might be able to find between one and four 400' replacements? (Preferably in the UK or Europe, but anywhere globally is fine, as they are not heavy.)

I've asked Les Bosher (camera technician in Wales), but he doesn't have any suggestions, beyond ringing all the labs to see if there are any spares that people accidentally handed in with unprocessed film.

Thanks for your help!

David

#2 David Joy

David Joy

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:42 AM

Actually -- it would be a great help even to know whether or not these are standard items, as it would open up the number of possible places I might find one.

Thanks.

#3 Bernie O'Doherty

Bernie O'Doherty
  • Sustaining Members
  • 232 posts
  • Other
  • Newark Valley, NY

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:26 PM

Hi David,

You need a flange plate. However you don't need the larger 400ft plate. The smaller 200ft works fine as long as your take-up tension is good.
Bernie

#4 David Joy

David Joy

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:53 PM

Hi Bernie,

Thank you very much -- that's the best possible reply! Presumably, in that case, I only need to find one 200 or 400 foot flange plate. Do you happen to know if they are standardised between cameras, or whether I need to find an Eclair NPR-specific one?

David

#5 Bernie O'Doherty

Bernie O'Doherty
  • Sustaining Members
  • 232 posts
  • Other
  • Newark Valley, NY

Posted 17 January 2007 - 05:26 PM

You need either an npr or acl flange. If you can't find any I would sell them at $45 each.
Bernie

#6 David Joy

David Joy

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student

Posted 21 January 2007 - 04:37 PM

Thanks, Bernie. I'll let you know if I'm still in need of one in a couple of weeks.

David

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

The Slider

Tai Audio

Glidecam