Paul Jackson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Digital Image Technician

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:36 PM

Hi,

This is my first post here, so forgive me if I'm asking in the wrong place. I registered just to ask this one question.

I work for a digital film restoration facility ( DTS Digital Images, formerly Lowry digital images).
We're working with some of the dirtiest old negatives you've ever seen on a daily basis.

I'm looking for information on a negative conforming method where the A and B sides of the dissolves are all cut onto a single roll of negative. I'm told this is called an "autoselect" negative. Dissolves are set up with a section of clear leader, then a section of opaque leader, followed by another section of clear leader. Somehow the length of these three sections of leader determine how much the overlap is for the dissolve and you have to slide the roll back that number of frames... But the exact math escapes me.

A few of the James Bond films were done this way, and I bumbled through and figured out how to put the roll back together digitally and re-create the dissolves. But now I've got a new project with less information about it.

How can I determine the proper dissolve length, start/stop and handle frames from an autoselect negative?
Any help would be appreciated, and if there is a better place to ask this, please feel free to tell me.

Thanks very much,

Paul Jackson
DTS Digital Images.

#2 Dominic Case

Dominic Case
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:50 PM

The single strand method of cutting was/is used when duplicating via an optical step printer. The projector head and the camera head of the printer are programmed to advance independently, so that teh outgoing scene fades out, the raw stock in the camera is rewound by the lenght of the dissolve, the projector side is advanced to the first frame of the incomins scene and printing restarts with a fade in.

Apart from the need for handles to distance splices from any required frames (so the splice doesn't disturb the image position in the gate during printing or advancing), there is no obvious need for the clear and black spacing between the two shots as you describe. However, clear spacing IS needed for a fade to black, which - in printing from a negative - is in fact a dissolve to clear negative.

Du Art labs in New York were the people who developed the single strand autoconforming system, mainly for 16mm blow-ups. But if you say it is on the James Bond films, then I believe De Luxe London (ex Rank Film Labs) would have been the processing and printing lab. You might find someone in either of those places who could help more.

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Opal

CineLab