Photo

panasonic ag dvx100A which setting should i use?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 grahamstanly

grahamstanly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Student

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:29 PM

Hey guys I am filming a short with my church, and we are using a panasonic ag dvx100A. I am wondering which settings I should use there will be a lot of shots done on a beach, and a lot will be done in direct sunlight? any suggestions would be helpful keep in mind I have never used this camera before but I have use some hd sony ones, and the xl2, and gl2.

Thanks again

#2 Daniel Carruthers

Daniel Carruthers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Canada

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:42 PM

Hey guys I am filming a short with my church, and we are using a panasonic ag dvx100A. I am wondering which settings I should use there will be a lot of shots done on a beach, and a lot will be done in direct sunlight? any suggestions would be helpful keep in mind I have never used this camera before but I have use some hd sony ones, and the xl2, and gl2.

Thanks again

well if you will probly want to shoot it in 24p mode if your just planning to realease on dvd, for atheatrical realease you should shoot 24p advanced. just so you know the strobing effect you get in 24 p modes is normal just becarful on on pans to minimize the effect, I think on the widest lens it should take an object 7 seconds to cross the screen, now you dont have to fallow that rule.

I cant really tell you what settings to use because i havent seen the location or read the script,
I usually shoot in cinegamma and have detail level at about -3 and v detail at -3 and detail coring at about +7, these settings will give your image a softer edge, and the detail coring helps reduce noise that may occur.
now if you want a bright saturated look for you short, shoot with matrix on cinelike,crush down the master peds around -5 or more( master peds will increase contrast giving you darker blacks it also gives more saturated colors)
and boost up the chroma levles at maybe a +4 or higher.
if you want a desaturated look keep the matrix at normal
you can still crush down the master peds( I find its always good to keep them down to at least -5)
and keep the chroma level at -7 this will decreas saturation even more.
you can always desaturate more in post.

Do some tests try to go to the locations ahead of time and go through all the settings at different levles.
and dont forget about the color temperature setting, if you want a cooler or warm look.
as for direct sunlight you will want some silks, nets and bounce boards,

#3 Marcel Zyskind

Marcel Zyskind
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Cph

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:24 AM

Hi

Try:

http://www.swisseffe...ages/e_tape.htm

On the left press camera setup and choose your camera. I have used their settings with good results before.

All the best
Marcel

#4 Chad Stockfleth

Chad Stockfleth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 622 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Louisville, KY

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:29 AM

without being sure what kind of lighting and grip gear you will have, be careful with lowering the ped in direct sunlight. be conscious of contrast on people's faces. also, you might invest in a polarizer.

good luck!

Marcel, you have worked on several great films! Dancer in the Dark, 24hr Party People and 28 Days Later; you must be deep in the Euro-Art-DV scene!

Edited by Chad Stockfleth, 19 January 2007 - 11:31 AM.

#5 grahamstanly

grahamstanly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Student

Posted 20 January 2007 - 12:24 AM

Thanks for the help. my first two days went ok, I figured out the camera basically it was a bit different because there was a 35mm lense on the camera, to give it a film look. We used 24p mode, and just ajusted the settings till it looked good. It came out just how we wanted it. The lense was very nice, and made it look pretty professional. So thanks for some of the tips and replys.

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Opal

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc