4 replies to this topic

#1 Chris_Burket

Chris_Burket
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:09 AM

I have been looking for an 18 volt trickle charger for my 2c batteries, but they seem to be extremely hard to find. I found a place called Xenotronix that can custom build them, but its pretty expensive. It's really easy to find a nice 12v, or 24v trickle chargers for $40 each, but no 18v.

Anyone know where they can be found?

#2 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:19 AM

You could probably adapt one from a cordless power tool that runs at 18v. You can buy the chargers at Home Depot for under $50. If you want a professional device, Bescor can custom make you something inexpensively.

#3 Olex Kalynychenko

Olex Kalynychenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine

Posted 19 January 2007 - 06:57 AM

I have been looking for an 18 volt trickle charger for my 2c batteries, but they seem to be extremely hard to find. I found a place called Xenotronix that can custom build them, but its pretty expensive. It's really easy to find a nice 12v, or 24v trickle chargers for $40 each, but no 18v.

Anyone know where they can be found?

At first, need know, what type of batteries you wish use, because, the every type of battery have special technology charging and volume of voltage and current.

the matter is that, after of my customers wish of high speed version of motors with Konvas and Kinor cameras i must propose of special version of battery and charger.
I propose of dual voltage SLA battery 12-18v 4ah with case, voltage switch and 4 pin XLR connector.
This is batetry included three cells of 6v 4 ah batteries and can connect two 6 +6 = 12 v or three 6+6+6=18 v.
But, the charger must charging of all three batteries.

If you not wish have special 18 v charger, you can use two 12 v and 6 v chargers for SLA batteries.

I recommend to use of modern auto charger with control of current and voltage on battery.
Not need choose of simply charger wihout control and with low chargering current and long time of charging.
This is yesterday.

#4 Chris_Burket

Chris_Burket
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:02 AM

I did finally find an 18 volt charger for lead acid batteries. It's a trickle charger used for charging 18 volt race car batteries. It's only 1.5 amps, but its the best I could find for a small price ($50). I'm still researching custom chargers with a larger amp output (around 4 amps).

#5 Rob van Gelder

Rob van Gelder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 06 February 2007 - 08:40 PM

One thing you might look for is power supplies for laptops, they often provide 20 volts at 4 amps or so.

if your batteries are gelcells, most likely, then you can use these powersupplies withouat any problem, the beauty of the gelcell is that it regulates it's own charging current, which is approx 2-3 amps when empty but that quickly drops down when it is charging.

No need to trickle charge, just put them on the charger 1 hour before you are going to use them. In my experience this is working fine.

Other then that, i just build a battery box for a special application, a 18 volts cordless screwdriver (Dewalt) where the batteries did not last long enough. So i made a 18 volt battery (3 x 6 volts, 11 Ah in series) and found that the charging current (max) did not go over 3 amps, making the 10 amp charger (big box) that i bought for it a bit overkill. After that i thought i would have done better with such a small laptop power supply.....

Here at the camera rental we use 12, 24 and 30 volts batteries and they all are charged with simple chargers, only the voltage is different. The current never goes higher then 3-3,5 amps. They do trickle-charge, but mainly because we have to grab them early in the morning, ready to go.

CineLab

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio