• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ian Marks

Ian Marks
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:28 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

If the link doesn't work, try a search for item number 200070851960

Anybody ever seen an Arri S with a film chamber like this? It looks like a built in 400' coax.

#2 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:34 PM

That entire eBay listing confuses me.

Apparently he's selling an Arri S, an SR with 2 mags, a few aquacam housings and some lights...all "as is"

hmmmm

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank, 19 January 2007 - 10:35 PM.

#3 chuck colburn

chuck colburn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Other
  • orygun

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:52 PM

Anybody ever seen an Arri S with a film chamber like this? It looks like a built in 400' coax.

Yeah it does look like a coaxial mag. Never seen one like it though. Mayby a steadicam op would like it! lol

#4 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:35 PM

Pictures of that Arriflex 16S have been floating around for years. I think it was listed on that auction by mistake, or as an attention getting device. Nothing in the auction talks about an Arriflex 16S.

From what I remember about that camera, like I said it has been around for a while, someone mated a 1200 foot mag from the Arriflex 16M to an Arriflex 16S body. I have no idea if it works or not.

-Tim

#5 Keneu Luca

Keneu Luca
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 January 2007 - 04:13 AM

That Arri S does belong to that owner though. The background is the same as in the SR pics. And the pics were all taken during the same shoot. The items are all aranged the same in the background as well. There's a glass or some shiny can sitting in the same spot on the counter top, near the sink.

Guess we just have to ask.

Edited by Keneu, 20 January 2007 - 04:16 AM.

#6 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 20 January 2007 - 08:18 PM

The auction claims it is from John Stoneman, who if it is the same guy did a underwater TV show for the CTV network called "The Last Frontier" (1987) [TV-Series] - it was well done at the time although I think fairly low budget (the last episode was a rehash of the prvious ones set against Stoneman heading to Miami to sell his boat. (itself a major characher in the series. Another episode had him showing the reefs to a fellow who just happened to be the head of the network!

I can certianly see how a diver might want to spend some machine shop resources to put a big mag on a camera, particularly if they were doing Tv shows set on a shallow reef. (want to be shallow to get lots of pritty colours.). At 30 feet an air tank lasts an hour and so if you can use a larger portion of that time filming rather then surfacing to change film you can shoot more film and not subject your body to many changes in depth. (safest diving is to go as deep as you plan to go and then surface slowly during the rest of the dive, and stay out of the water for several hours after you surface before you start your next dive)

#7 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:30 AM

Looks like an Arri-S with a custom machined 400' coax internal mag. No reason why it shouldn't work, as long as they incorporated some torque motor to drive the film. Back in the day the only way to make certain things work was to build your own. This looks like a classic '60s custom job to me.

#8 Ian Marks

Ian Marks
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2007 - 01:31 PM

Too bad a Super-16 modification would be impractical for this camera - I bet it's a real tank.

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc