4 replies to this topic

#1 Shane Kelly

Shane Kelly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:53 AM

This has probably been discussed before but is it possible to convert a lens in OCT-19 mount to PL. I don't mean with an adapter but rather replacing the OCT-19 mount on the lens ( not the camera body) with a new Pl-mount.
Has anyone done this? Is there a date of lens manufacture that went to interchangeable mounts?
Thanks everyone.
Shane.

#2 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 21 January 2007 - 02:50 PM

Yes, you can exchange the OCT-19 mount for a PL mount on certain cameras, like the Konvas. But not on all.
It has to do with the fact that the flange focal distance on OCT-19 is 61mm, whereas on PL it's 54mm. You can't normally put a shorter FF on a camera made for a longer FF originally. However, on the Konvas the actual mount was so protruding that there was ample room to get a PL mount on it.

On the bigger Kinors it can't be done (without extensive rebuilding), although they have the same mount.

#3 Shane Kelly

Shane Kelly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 January 2007 - 05:30 PM

Adam,
I mean to change the mount on the lens, not on the camera. for example, if I wanted to use a Konvas lens in oct-19 mount on an arriflex camera I would have to change the rear mount *on the lens*. This is what I want to find out if it's possible.
Thanks,
Shane

#4 Rafael Pankratau

Rafael Pankratau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Other
  • Belarus, Europe

Posted 22 January 2007 - 02:28 AM

Shane,
Most OCT-19 lenses can be converted to PL.
But there are some issues. Konvas lenses (without follow focus gears) are more difficult to convert due to different disign of the focusing mount. You have either to rebuild the whole focusind system (that may cost up to $500 per lens) or to change operation of the lens (distance scale becames immovable, and you focus the lens turning the lens part with index marks).
Kinor lenses (with FF gears usually) are much more simple to convert, and we do this at $150 per lens currently.

#5 Shane Kelly

Shane Kelly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:00 AM

Rafael,
thanks,that's exactly what I needed to know. I'm only interested in the later lens series anyway so that is good news.
Shane.

CineTape

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC