Don Ranow

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Producer
  • Macon, Georgia

Posted 21 January 2007 - 11:38 AM

I will be shooting my first feature film using a Cannon XL2. I know that the camera works well with its own sound recording directly onto the tape or in my case, the external hard drive. I would like to still shoot and record sound onto a separate DAT for more control over the sound. So then comes the issue of Sync time code...

My question is (hypothecially) if I use an external hard drive system to capture my video fromt the XL2 and have a DAT recording sound, is there a sync generator that can link the same time code from the Hard Drive system to the DAT?

I haven't decided on my NLE yet, but I know that the Avid Xpress Pro has a auto sync function that will sync sound and video together based on the time code. This is clearly a much easier way to sync sound and picture together. However, if using the XL2's sound recording is just as good or better, then please let me know.

I do not have any of this equipment yet, but I would like to know that whatever I'm purchasing, it will do what I need it to do.

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts or feedback on this issue, as I don't see a lot of threads dedicated to this. Thanks!

#2 Terry Hsieh

Terry Hsieh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Student

Posted 21 January 2007 - 08:32 PM

what they told me was that you'd have a seperate mixer, going into a computer, where you'd patch all your mikes through. You'd probably want a boom mike, a couple of wireless lavalier mikes to put on your actors, to catch dialogue and you should probably keep the sound going on the camera so that you can mix the other patches in and out as you wish later in the editing process. Of course, syncing the whole thing in the end is kind of tricky....and that I don't know, since i'm not an editor. Just thoughts from a noob that might help.

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc