3 replies to this topic

#1 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 21 January 2007 - 04:13 PM

I saw this last night on the aero theatre's Kurosawa series, and was blown away. What surprised me though was that within several scenes, contrast varied considerably from one shot to the next. Could this be isolated to this particular print, or would all prints have appeared this way, and was this common in older movies? Or was it just improper exposure? The visuals were so amazing otherwise, that would surprise me.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19762 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 January 2007 - 07:16 PM

I don't recall anything like that when it was originally released. Maybe you're not used to seeing optical printer dupes in a movie anymore, since they are usually done digitally these days.

The movie was shot with multiple cameras with long lenses, so some shots may have been looking through more smoke or something.

#3 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 21 January 2007 - 07:54 PM

...just realized this this came out in 85, so I don't think I should have described it as an "older movie."

Specifically, the very last sequence, where there's an ELS to an LS to a Full Shot (then back again) of Tsurumaru, the blacks in the ELS and LS were greyish, but were deep in the Full Shot. That one stood out the most because it was clear the camera was in the same position, and they only used different focal lengths. There was no smoke (which would have only affected the full shot anyway) but I guess it could have been a flare, though why would it be fixed for the full shot, and not just left as it had been in the others? Perhaps it is just that I'm not used to optical prints but it seemed so pronounced to me that it made me wonder.

Amazing film though. Oh boy, when Kaede gets it...

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19762 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 January 2007 - 08:01 PM

Wasn't that final scene done at magic hour on that clifftop? Maybe some of the takes were underexposed more than others if the takes were done sequentially as the light was fading. Underexposed takes printed up would have lighter blacks. Or the wider shots had more sky in the frame and was flaring the lenses (most of the movie was shot on zoom lenses.)

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera