Vincent De Paula
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Vancouver / Los Angeles

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:23 AM

Hi guys,

I have a job coming up in London at Malcom Ryan Studios shooting on HDcam with the 750. This is a green screen job where a forklift car is driving towards a pile of boxes lifting them and moving them off screen. The idea is to green screen all the boxes as they are going to be showing some footage, all boxes displaying different footage. We also want the rest of the frame very white and even.
The studios are very big and will have access to all sorts of lighting equipment. The trick is not to cast any shadows in the boxes when the forklift car is approaching them and moving off screen so that the green screen will key propertly.
This is going to be a locked off shot and very wide. I am going to rely heavily on spacelights and will try to avoid shadows by throwing them to the floor... There will be other shots where I will be using green screen on a woman who will later on be coming out of the pile of boxes.
How would you guys approch the lighting for this kind of job?
Also, what settings would you choose for the 750?

Thanks

#2 John Hall

John Hall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Best Boy
  • Toronto, Canada

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:57 AM

I don't know if this would work for your situation, but I once had to shoot an old wood television with it's screen replaced with a greencloth.
There were several lighting changes in the shot, a camera move, as well as people walking in front of the screen, making frontlighting the screen impossible.
So we backlight the cloth from inside the box with a lowell (I think, this was a few years ago).
We had a fairly thin chromakey green cloth, this won't work with a spandex digital green or anything.

This may be tougher to achieve in your shot depending on how many boxes there are, and if you can't hide cables.

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post