#1 Randy Burleson

Randy Burleson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 22 January 2007 - 12:21 PM

OK, I am an HD newbie but not a video newbie.

I am getting ready to shoot my first job in HD.
The project that I am working on is a biography/documentary style video.
I will be editing on Final Cut Pro and will be inputing the video via Firewire from a Panasonic HD-1400 VTR.
The final product will be a direct to retail DVD. There is a slim chance that it may at some point be broadcast.

But before I shoot a frame of video I am trying to determine the best way to go for me.
I will be renting a Panasonic HDX900. It shoots with 720 native chips and CAN up convert in camera to 1080.
Should I shoot 1080 or should I stay with the 720 format?

Another question I have is ....
Should I use 24p or go video style 29.97p?
If I shoot 29.97, can?t I treat the finished master later to get a film look if I decide I want to go that route via Cinelook or whatever?
But, If I shoot 24p, aren?t I going to be stuck with that look? It leaves me less options later right?
I want the footage to be as flexible and adaptable to any use or look now and later.
I also want to make sure that my Master is in the best format for Upconverting or downconverting or repurposing.
What are the gotcha?s or caveats that I need to be aware of before and during shooting and in post?

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 January 2007 - 01:49 PM

Hi,

> Should I shoot 1080 or should I stay with the 720 format?

Run tests, but there's unlikely to be anything to be gained from blowing it up.

> Should I use 24p or go video style 29.97p?

It is extremely difficult to convert from 29.97 to 24, whereas converting 24p to 60i for broadcast is commonplace. If there is any possibility your production will ever go to film, you should definitely shoot in 24 (usually actually 23.98). There will be slightly more stroboscopic artifacts in pans (which you should test to determine) and if you are shooting for the big screen there are other issues regarding framing and panning speed that you should consider.

Phil

#3 Randy Burleson

Randy Burleson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 22 January 2007 - 01:59 PM

This project may never be broadcast but just in case...
I came across the HD Deliverables for the Discovery Channel...

Are these specs pretty typical of all of the Cable Networks?

BROADCAST MASTERS

Sony HD Cam 1080i / 59.94, Stereo audio on channels 1 & 2, Dolby 5.1 mix (when available) expressed as Dolby E on channels 3 & 4.

Where facilities exist, the HD master must be accompanied by a closed captioned Betacam SX standard definition down converted dub. This standard definition dub shall contain a 16:9 letterboxed image obtained from the HD master. The program content shall be exactly the same on both versions of the master and the times codes shall match exactly. Audio shall also match for any Lt/Rt or Lo/Ro content but no Dolby E is necessary. Closed captioning shall be on line 21.

Discovery HD requires programs to be mastered in the 1080i 59.54 signal standard. Programs may be acquired in the 720P 59.94 signal standard and mastered in 1080i 59.94 for delivery only with prior approval. Programs may be acquired and delivered in 1080 psf 23.98 or 25, or 1080i 50 only with prior permission from Discovery HD.

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Opal

Visual Products

Tai Audio

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS