8 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:21 PM

What stock was used for the first season of Space 1999. I grew up on this show and now have some of the DVDs. Excellent transfer for the DVD, I wonder if they went back to the original elelment or not. Anyway, I love the look of the first season and was wondering what stock and other techniques were used to achieve this. I realize that loads of this show was composite work for FX, I am refering to the interiors of Moonbase Alpha or any other interior.

Chris

#2 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:27 PM

What stock was used for the first season of Space 1999. I grew up on this show and now have some of the DVDs. Excellent transfer for the DVD, I wonder if they went back to the original elelment or not. Anyway, I love the look of the first season and was wondering what stock and other techniques were used to achieve this. I realize that loads of this show was composite work for FX, I am refering to the interiors of Moonbase Alpha or any other interior.
Chris

I loved that show too! Been thinking of getting the boxed set, but worried that it just isn't quite as good as my memory...well, remembers. :D So, is it worth getting?

#3 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:16 PM

I loved that show too! Been thinking of getting the boxed set, but worried that it just isn't quite as good as my memory...well, remembers. :D So, is it worth getting?

Yes it is worth getting. It is cheesey at times, but I really dig the overall asthetic, especially the first season. The special effects are really quite good. Occasionally some shots don't look that real, but all in all, very impressive. the transfer or whatever they did for the DVD release is fantastic, very sharp, great color. I know that Messege From Moonbase Alpha touched on it, but wouldn't it be great to revisit the series? Perhaps just as a mini series or feature. Now that I think of it, UFO would really fly today as well.

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:44 PM

The show was shot on 35mm, probably 5247.

Apparently the new transfers were made from new low-con prints struck from the original negatives. You can see some degradation in some opticals, probably done with CRI stock, which has since shown to have poor archival qualities. Luckily the show didn't use a lot of optical printing.

I like my box sets of Season One -- in particular, I'm fond of the original pilot episode.

#5 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:54 PM

Space:1999 was a great show with an unusual concept. However, I was more of a fan of the second season - there were some really interesting stories in the second season. Though i admit, two great things about the first season was the theme song at the beginning with the electric guitar and Barry Morse. It's a pity none of those two elements made their way into the second season. The second season did feature a new character, Maya, who was a great contribution to the show. It's a pity that the series ended without a conclusion.

#6 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:00 PM

I preferred the stark, sterile, melancholy look and feel of Season One to the more colorful look of Season Two -- in particular, I hated the new (and cheaper to shoot) Main Mission set, just a box. No windows and balconies, no split-level set with the big doors connecting to Koenig's office, etc.

#7 Milo Sekulovich

Milo Sekulovich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:07 AM

Hi,

I loved that show too. I saw them when they were originally broadcast.

It seemed to me that they used some filterisation at times-like low cons or double fogs.

Milo

#8 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 23 January 2007 - 02:39 PM

I preferred the stark, sterile, melancholy look and feel of Season One to the more colorful look of Season Two -- in particular, I hated the new (and cheaper to shoot) Main Mission set, just a box. No windows and balconies, no split-level set with the big doors connecting to Koenig's office, etc.

I like the first season for exactly the same reasons. I know that they were going for a larger audience, thus the more action centric plots of the 2nd season. Too bad it failed. I feel the first season was a bit more thoughtful, introspective, which I like. I dug the some of the location stuff of the 2nd season, I just feel the first season's look was more intune with the Alphan's situation. Thanks for all the info

#9 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 23 January 2007 - 03:40 PM

The show was shot on 35mm, probably 5247.

EEEEEEEEEHHH!!!! That glorious stock!!!!! That glorious stock!!!!!...

...I thought it was Monopack...

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC