4 replies to this topic

#1 grahamstanly

grahamstanly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Student

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:49 PM

I know this is probably a stupid question but I couldnt find the answer to it To film HD do you need HD Tapes? or is it possible to do it on a regular tape?

#2 Frank Barrera

Frank Barrera
  • Sustaining Members
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:24 PM

Yes, to shoot HD you need HD tapes or direct to a hard drive. I'll just make a guess that you're confused about the HVX200 and the fact that it shoots tape. It shoots tape only in Standard Definition mode. To capture HD with this camera you need to go to P2 cards or Hard drive.

#3 grahamstanly

grahamstanly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Student

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:30 AM

well i understand the p2 cards, its just i was also looking at the cannon hx-a1 and i wanted to be sure you needed hd tapes, but how much are good tapes? i have heard its pretty pricy.

#4 Scott Fritzshall

Scott Fritzshall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:48 AM

For any camera, you need to use the tapes that it supports. If you were using a Varicam, you'd use DVCProHD tapes. If you were using an F950, you'd use SR tapes. For the Canon HDV cameras, you need HDV tapes. Frankly I have no idea if there is any qualitative difference between HDV tapes and miniDV tapes. I think this was your question, but you need to be more specific, because there's really no such format as "HD tape" or "regular tape."

In general (though I'm no expert on the subject of tape stock), you should use the stock that your manufacturer recommends. I know that sometimes if you use a different brand, there may be issues with differences in how the tape is lubricated that can cause damage to the insides of your camera. I'm sure that the tapes cost more than whatever they want you to use with $300 camcorders, but there's no way it's terribly expensive.

#5 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5069 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:14 PM

You can use regular MiniDV tapes for HDV, but there's an increased chance of drop out. People often use master grade MiniDV tape, which are cut from the same rolls as the standard tape, but the section they use for manufacturing these tapes is less prone to drop out. Use the best quality tape you can afford when shooting HDV.

The usual MiniDV issues apply, so don't keep changing tape makes etc. in your camera.

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Technodolly

Opal

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

CineTape

Visual Products