• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 24 January 2007 - 03:09 PM

Finally we are number one at some thing! Those Hong Kong bootleggers thought they could beat us, HA!!

Worst Movie Pirates? Canadians, Says Report

While Asia is often cited as the home base of most movie pirates, 20th Century Fox maintains that as much as 50 percent of the world's bootlegged movies actually comes from Canada, with the overwhelming number being turned out in Montreal, the Ottawa Citizen reported Tuesday. The newspaper said that Fox has warned exhibitors in Montreal that unless steps are taken to crack down on illegal recording, it plans to delay the release of new titles. The Montreal Gazette recently reported that many kids are sneaking camcorders into theaters by hiding them in tubs of popcorn. It pointed out that in Canada, unlike many areas of the U.S., it is not illegal to use a camcorder in a theater and that the most a theater owner can do is ask a patron who is doing so to leave. Dianne Schwalm, senior vice-president for advertising and publicity at Warner Bros., told the newspaper, "Pirates are aware that unless the law here is changed, there's no penalty if they get caught recording -- only if they get caught trying to sell."

#2 Chayse Irvin

Chayse Irvin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 24 January 2007 - 03:16 PM

It pointed out that in Canada, unlike many areas of the U.S., it is not illegal to use a camcorder in a theater and that the most a theater owner can do is ask a patron who is doing so to leave.

Heh. The other day I went to Pans Labyrinth, before the movie started a big picture of a camera popped up with a big red cross threw it. lol.

#3 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:18 AM

A dubious distinction, to say the least. . .

#4 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:11 AM

I'm one of torn feelings on this subject. While, yes, I feel that piracy is wrong, I also feel that it is not as big of a problem as the studios have made it out to be. The only way for a viable pirate market to exist is when the mainstream prices are too great for the market to support. The music industry originally began fighting the pirates, and did little other than make themselves look foolish. They stomped out one company, to have 8 pop up. Worse than annoying insects. In this free for all, impossible to tackle pirates market, the music industry was doomed, right?

Nope, they went "if you can't beat em, join em." And now they make a ton of money with online file services that they control. They realized that people did not want to steal their music, they wanted to listen to their music in a convenient manner.

Now, what cinema truely needs is a major drive to remind people of the majesty of the theatre, of the experience. In the 50's, when television was taking off, the movie industry fought back with big promotions for the "cinema experience" with all the gala that movies can bring. I feel that todays cinema industry has forgotten even what a movie theatre is there for. They look at them like a promotional tool for DVD sales. Hence the rising number of "DVD-focused" movies as I call them. Movies that don't seem to fit on the big screen, more focused on the home experience. They need more movies that *have* to be seen in the theatre to be fully experiences.

#5 Evan Winter

Evan Winter
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:08 PM

Unfortunately the music industry is in a very very bad place right now and is losing money like a sieve does water. Music video budgets are getting slashed left, right, and center and where A-List video directors once shot 350K videos near monthly we now see the same guys & gals wrestling over 90K vids.

Sure online sales of music have helped but they've helped like the proverbial finger in the dam - it appears to be too little too late. The entire music industry format is broken and the fix is going to require an entire overhaul that restructures everything in the production-to-delivery model. It's truly a scary time for music industry people and even scarier for music video people.

In relation to piracy I think that while it is only a stop-gap measure the studios should delay sending their films to Quebec until after their movies have been released in other markets. It's ridiculous that pirates get only a slap on the wrist in Quebec and if the government there won't help then that's fine - it's their prerogative after all. However, it's also the movie industry's right to protect itself and they could attempt to somewhat stem the outflow of cash, due to piracy, by simply giving Quebec their films late.

Again, I don't think this is a solution. It just buys the studios time to figure out how they're going to make money in the next 10 or so years as the online piracy industry booms.

The music industry was too stubborn to see that the world was passing them by. Hopefully the movie industry can learn from their sister industry's mistake.

Evan

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Glidecam