#1 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:24 PM

I've heard a few things, but no specific details, that Contract Services is cleaning up the roster by removing IA members who have not registered official hours within the past three years or so.

Is this true? What are the specific details? Does it affect only some Locals or all of them?

This specifically affects me (and some of my associates) who have segued from working on "production" to shooting behind-the-scenes on union sets. While there is no official rule stating that an EPK cameraman has to be a member of Local 600, for some reason, the studios and several shows have gotten away with requiring that the EPK cameraman be a member of Local 600. As a result, no EPK cameramen accrue any hours toward Motion Picture Health and Welfare regardless of how many hours we spend on union sets. So if this "culling" of the herd by Contract Services does take place, I and many other Videographers who primarily shoot behind-the-scenes will have our union status removed unless Contract Services and/or Local 600 work to put a contract in place which represents EPK work and the companies who hire us are mandated to report our hours, just as the Unit Still Photographer's hours are.

I've left a couple of messages with ICG in Hollywood but no one has returned my calls, so any info is much appreciated! :)

#2 Elhanan Matos

Elhanan Matos
  • Sustaining Members
  • 432 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • Santa Monica, CA

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:00 PM

You should just go over there and ask them... Theyre right up there on Ventura and Hayvenhurst (approximately). Thats pretty close to Encino.

CineLab

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

Ritter Battery