Joe Gideon

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Director

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:02 AM

Hi there,

I just finished watching the Australian horror film 'Wolf Creek', and I was surprised to discover that it was shot HD. I thought that it looked decidedly film-like (with convincing film-like grain), particularly the indoor scenes where the victims are tortured.

I am going to be shooting a short film with the HVX200, and I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on how to achieve that kind of stark, high-contrast, grainy look when shooting dark interiors in HD.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

thanks,

Joe

#2 Lance Flores

Lance Flores
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Producer
  • San Antonio/Dallas/Detroit

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:56 AM

Hi there,

I just finished watching the Australian horror film 'Wolf Creek', and I was surprised to discover that it was shot HD. I thought that it looked decidedly film-like (with convincing film-like grain), particularly the indoor scenes where the victims are tortured.

I am going to be shooting a short film with the HVX200, and I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on how to achieve that kind of stark, high-contrast, grainy look when shooting dark interiors in HD.

thanks,

Joe

One of the guys I know in San Antonio just finished up a picture using the 200 that may be similar to the look you are interested in achieving. You might contact him. His name is Phillip Guzman. He has a site at http://www.thelawlessmovie.com/ and he is pretty accessible.

Edited by Lance Flores, 25 January 2007 - 10:58 AM.

#3 Daniel Carruthers

Daniel Carruthers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Canada

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:23 PM

Hi there,

thanks,

Joe

They really took advantage of hds depth of field. some of those establishing shots where fantastic you could see forever, which really added to the isolation of the dessert.
the look for that movie was mainly achieved in post. so I would shoot as clean as possible giving you more room for minipulation later on.
I loved the campfire scenes very realistic.
I hate movies where people are around a campfire and the moonlight overpowers the fire light???
in wolf creek they stayed away from the moonlight look and kept to practicals,car headlights. they only used moonlight when they absolutly had to. when your alone in the dessert at night you have to see somthing

#4 Adam Paul

Adam Paul
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Here and now

Posted 11 February 2007 - 01:57 PM

Yeah, but Wolf Creek shot on the Sony F900 which is a much better camera than the HVX200. Not sure you will get that level of quality out of the HVX. But sure worth a try. Good luck!

#5 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 11 February 2007 - 02:26 PM

Why not try telecineing some unexposed gritty Super 8 filmstock and using it as an overlay.

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Glidecam

CineTape

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

CineLab