#1 Mark Williams

Mark Williams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Director
  • United Kingdom

Posted 26 January 2007 - 06:01 AM

I have written a film script and wondered what people think! I storyboarded the first couple of minutes with video and starring Zygote Man. Although his acting is a little wooden, he does as he's told! and he's cheap

Alien wars Script
http://www.keepmyfil...d/25085a1349709

Alien Wars Storyboard Opening
http://vids.myspace....eoID=1815965464

Thanks ! :D

#2 Mark Williams

Mark Williams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Director
  • United Kingdom

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:45 PM

Any takers? :)

#3 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 03 February 2007 - 03:47 AM

Hey Mark, I took a look at your anamated storyboard and liked it but I couldn't hear the narration over the music and sound effects so it was hard to tell what was going on. The English accent made it even more difficult for a Yank like myself to make out what you were saying over the rest of the sound track.

Zygote Man was a true professional and never seemed to lose the charature he established in the first few moments of the peice which only goes to prove it's always better to hire a star if you can afford one.

Although this was only a storyboard, If that aproximates the lighting you're planning to use, I think it will be very effective, I especially liked the wash of light over Zygote Man's face in the capsule and the backlit simi-sillouted figure of him on the planet's surface. I'd love to see some more storyboards but please clean up the audio so I can tell what's happening.

I also look forward to perusing your script. I'm sure it will be very interesting. B)

#4 Mark Williams

Mark Williams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Director
  • United Kingdom

Posted 03 February 2007 - 06:21 AM

Hey Mark, I took a look at your anamated storyboard and liked it but I couldn't hear the narration over the music and sound effects so it was hard to tell what was going on. The English accent made it even more difficult for a Yank like myself to make out what you were saying over the rest of the sound track.

Zygote Man was a true professional and never seemed to lose the charature he established in the first few moments of the peice which only goes to prove it's always better to hire a star if you can afford one.

Although this was only a storyboard, If that aproximates the lighting you're planning to use, I think it will be very effective, I especially liked the wash of light over Zygote Man's face in the capsule and the backlit simi-sillouted figure of him on the planet's surface. I'd love to see some more storyboards but please clean up the audio so I can tell what's happening.

I also look forward to perusing your script. I'm sure it will be very interesting. B)

Thanks James I was looking for camera positions, Potential Edit points and flow more than anything.. I have the feeling that all the effects in my script would cost a lot of money so by having a clear picture and hopefully some input from an effects house it could workout cheaper.. Also An idea for props and how things might work.. I did the voiceover BUT didnt have me in mind for the real thing so I wasnt to concerned about that.. I was going to storyboard the first ten minutes BUT I think I'll wait and see if I can get some kind of funding first.. Otherwise I may just have a great script and no money..

#5 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 04 February 2007 - 04:59 AM

Otherwise I may just have a great script and no money..

Well you could always get a litterary agent and shop it around. B)

#6 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11944 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 February 2007 - 08:42 AM

Hi,

> Well you could always get a litterary sic agent and shop it around.

Just like that, eh?

Phil

#7 Mark Williams

Mark Williams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Director
  • United Kingdom

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:19 AM

Well you could always get a litterary agent and shop it around. B)

Thanks James I guess see what happens first.. My idea is if it doesnt get off the ground then sit on it until there is a more opportune time..

Phil Yes its difficult HOW on earth does anyone get anyone to read your work even? Plus your reliant on someone paying enough attention to be interested.. And then visualise exactly what you have written before recommending it to an agent or producer.. In the real world people now a days dont care that much.. When you look at the standards of writing sometimes today.. SOME very great examples but few and far between..

I have the feeling like much of society today, few people care or professional enough to want to create a blockbuster especially in the UK.. kinda resigned to the fact that big films are hollywood.. OR and in general terms Arty farty crap for the rest of the world. Perhaps this is part of what distributers cultivate.

Just about every step you take today is countered by politics within OR apathy.. There is one way of course and that is the only real way to do something right is to do it yourself and hope it gets picked up at a festival.. Personally I reckon there are many professional people who cant get work who if all came together as a cooperative and made a business this could work although again every one today wants there input their way their voice.. Its all kinda self defeating.. SO why try? I guess for me If I didnt then I wouldnt even be expressing myself.. It all comes down to "its who I am and who I want to be"..

Hasn't it always been the same though? Looking for the big break? Sylvester Stallone wrote the script for Rocky in three days and the studios wanted someone else to play rocky.. But sly insisted they couldnt have the script without him being the star..

Perhaps those days no longer apply as just about every variation and script software is now easily available to everyone..

Who knows But one thing I do know there is a chance and thats all there is. If rejected then try again. If the doors are closed and you feel its not your script then wait while looking for opportunity.. Or go to another country and try.. If you want to know what rejection is like try acting.. I auditioned at so many drama schools and they dont tell you why your knocked back. It could be your not going to fit with others already chosen. Perhaps there looking for more from ethnic minorities Perhaps they feel they cant teach you anything? Loads of reasons.. In my case I did get into a drama school in the end But then decided it wasnt for me three years of my life seemed a long time with no guarantees at the end of it.

#8 Robert G Andrews

Robert G Andrews
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:39 PM

Are you throwing an illustrative idea at us or mimicking something scifi? flexing your scifi muscle?

You kinda remided me of a conductor tuning your 'orchestra' before recital. Not the best thing to listen to lest that you were flexing for something yet to serve....

I guess the word was 'direction', you needed that I felt. The feeling was there...so you are on the right road of sorts.

Tell your story first and try not to mimick. Tell it your way. Tell it first and sci-fi it second, that's what I would do. All best of lcuk :)

#9 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11944 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:55 PM

Hi,

> HOW on earth does anyone get anyone to read your work even?

They don't, usually.

Phil

#10 Mark Williams

Mark Williams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Director
  • United Kingdom

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:51 AM

Are you throwing an illustrative idea at us or mimicking something scifi? flexing your scifi muscle?

You kinda remided me of a conductor tuning your 'orchestra' before recital. Not the best thing to listen to lest that you were flexing for something yet to serve....

I guess the word was 'direction', you needed that I felt. The feeling was there...so you are on the right road of sorts.

Tell your story first and try not to mimick. Tell it your way. Tell it first and sci-fi it second, that's what I would do. All best of lcuk :)

Hi Robert
The film was a storyboard so not actually a film but as you seemed to realize it was illustrative. :)

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

CineLab

Opal