#1 Troy Warr

Troy Warr
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Other
  • Austin, TX, USA

Posted 26 January 2007 - 06:51 PM

I saw David Lynch last night at a Barnes & Noble here in Austin, TX. He was speaking about his new book on meditation - "Catching the Big Fish: Meditation, Consciousness, and Creativity" - it was interesting, and the book appears to be, too.

He did a Q&A for about 25 minutes followed by a book signing. Most of the questions centered on his book and meditation practices, at which he spoke in his characteristically abstract, metaphorical way. Probably his most memorable quote from that topic was "water the root, enjoy the fruit" - meaning that good things come through nurturing a healthy, productive environment.

I think his best witticism, though, had to be in response to a question from a young independent filmmaker. He described (as best as I could hear him) a chaotic filming enviroment - insurance concerns, unhappy actors, an on-set fire, etc., and asked Lynch for advice on how to proceed against such adversity. Lynch gave him a very thoughtful reply, but summed it up in his own, unique way: "focus on the donut, not the hole."

He also mentioned his foundation, which I hadn't heard of until yesterday, the "David Lynch Foundation for Consciousness-Based Education and World Peace." I certainly commend him on his work and approach in that realm, but when he stated the title, it drew a bit of a chuckle from the crowd - probably from the "and World Peace" at the end of the rather lengthy title - quite a lofty goal that almost sounds like an afterthought in context. His argument is that the two concepts are related - meditation and world peace - in that the former brings about inner peace that is then reflected outward through our interactions with the world.

All in all, it was a very interesting event, and Lynch was very personable and polite during the signing. I was glad to see that although most people there were most interested in him as a filmmaker (rather than an author), they were respectful to keep the focus on his book and the personal experiences that he shared, rather than asking fanboy questions like "who's that guy in the mirror on Twin Peaks?" :P

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Abel Cine