Cutting 60i and 30P together

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Christopher Wedding

Christopher Wedding
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2007 - 11:12 AM

So I'm on a 2 camera shoot right now, and for budgetary reasons, they've opted to shoot 1 Digibeta and 1 DVX100a. They understand the two will look different, so I want to be clear that isn't what I want to discuss here.

My question is more of just making sure that shooting 30P on the DVX is still effectively shooting 29.97 and will cut in fine with the Digibeta stuff (790 not 970) which is still 60i. Or, is it better to shoot 60i with the DVX as well. I guess I'm just unfamiliar with how the two formats interact side by side in a cut and if it has any potential broadcast problems.

I have to say that I saw one test and the 30P did look a little different next to the digibeta in terms of speed/sync.....

Thanks,
Chris

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 January 2007 - 01:08 PM

Sure, the DVX100 in 30P mode is still recording everything to 60i, so it would intercut with 60i material, only that the motion will have that 30P look.

Only problem would be you later wanted to make a 30P master, not a 60i master, because then all the 60i material would have to be deinterlaced.

#3 Frank Barrera

Frank Barrera
  • Sustaining Members
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 28 January 2007 - 01:18 AM

I just shot a show with a Beta 600 as A camera and a DVX 100A as B camera. Mostly the B cam was for tights and CU's but occasionally a two shot or a wide. We matched the cameras as best as we could and most definetely shot with the DVX in interlaced mode. As I had never done this before I was very surprised at how close the cameras actually did match. Now you are talking about DigiBeta which has a lot more resolution than the DVX so I would try to keep the DVX to tighter shots if and when possible.

I would also keep your DVX in interlaced mode for easier matching. The motion artifacts in progressive mode are just too startling compared to interlaced.

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Abel Cine

Opal

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS