8 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny Hubbard

Johnny Hubbard
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 28 January 2007 - 07:33 AM

I just got ahold of a working Yashica electro 800 in perfect working condition(minus the the stuff it originally came with) and I plan on eventually shooting 200t with this. I was wondering; what would be the shutter speed and is it a good idea to put in this camera and expect a nice color saturation? I'm guessing the shutter speed is like 160-170...I can't find too much info on this camera.

Edited by Johnny RPFM, 28 January 2007 - 07:37 AM.

#2 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:00 AM

I just got ahold of a working Yashica electro 800 in perfect working condition(minus the the stuff it originally came with) and I plan on eventually shooting 200t with this. I was wondering; what would be the shutter speed and is it a good idea to put in this camera and expect a nice color saturation? I'm guessing the shutter speed is like 160-170...I can't find too much info on this camera.

Your going to have to just put a cartridge of film through it. The most important thing I can think to ask you, does the camera have manual exposure, auto exposure lock, and or a backlight function which opens up the f-stop one full f-stop.

#3 Johnny Hubbard

Johnny Hubbard
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:47 PM

Your going to have to just put a cartridge of film through it. The most important thing I can think to ask you, does the camera have manual exposure, auto exposure lock, and or a backlight function which opens up the f-stop one full f-stop.

Ok, auto only, backlight, and spotlight.

#4 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 04 February 2007 - 05:00 PM

You're supposed to register with your first and last name, if you can't suddenly log in, that might be why.

Ok, auto only, backlight, and spotlight.

Spotlight? Wow.

If backlight adds one f-stop and spotlight subtract one f-stop, that may be enough for most situations. I am not familar with a spotlight function on Super-8 cameras at all, if your Yashica actually underexposes the image by one f-stop when in the spotlight mode, it may be the only "automatic exposure only" Super-8 camera ever made that has both an overexpose and underexpose option.

The good news is if the auto-exposure delivers good results you can concentrate more on grabbing shots. If you discover the auto-exposure occasionally underexposes, the backlight function can save you. If the camera is overexposing, perhaps the spotlight function can save you. You may feel cheated because you can't set the exposure manually but you can pretty quickly figure out when to use the backlight and spotlight functions. I would assume that by going the automatic route, perhaps Yashica spent more design time making their automatic exposure function really good and perhaps those two back up options, the backlight and the spotlight function, will make the camera pretty functional.

Assuming you can at least note what f-stop the camera is using, you still can learn. Does the viewfinder make it easy to see the f-stop the camera has selected?

#5 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 04 February 2007 - 06:24 PM

I'm interested, what is the range of ASA ratings that can be covered by this +/- compensation?

#6 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:05 PM

I'm interested, what is the range of ASA ratings that can be covered by this +/- compensation?

Assuming the spotlight function actually is underexposing the film, it's probably just one f-stop, however, that can be signficant. Some higher end cameras allow one to actually adjust the exposure value via a dial plus or minus up to two f-stops in either direction.

If you want to define the spotlight and backlight setting by ASA instead, that would be the equivalent of either doubling the ASA of the film if one is underexposing the automatic exposure setting by one stop via the spotlight setting, or halving the ASA of the film if it is overexposing the automatic exposure setting by one f-stop. However, one is only actually gaining or losing ASA settings IF the camera is either wide open or almost entirely closed down. Everything in the middle most probably just shifts sensitivity via the f-stop, if you suddenly switched to a slower or faster film stock and assuming the camera read it correctly, it's just going to shift the f?stop.

In the case of 64T, if the camera is mistakenly reading the film as 200, the backlight shift probably brings the film to an ASA of 100, which is probably close enough. If the film is mistakenly read as ASA 25, doubling it via the spotlight funciton probably brings it to 50 ASA, which is also, probably close enough.

If the meter could be either "spotlighted" or "backlighted" and then "locked" that would be useful as well. Probably the meter doesn't lock on the Yashica no matter what setting is chosen.

#7 Johnny Hubbard

Johnny Hubbard
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:06 AM

These are numbers on the lens rings: 1:1.6 and f7.5-60mm. i don't know too much about f-stops.

#8 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:05 AM

That means the camera will open up to an f-stop of 1.6 at it's widest setting, and the it has an 8-1 zoom.

Did you read about going with your real name?

#9 Johnny Hubbard

Johnny Hubbard
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:03 PM

Thanks and I took care of it.

CineLab

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport