#2 Andre LeBlanc

Andre LeBlanc
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 January 2007 - 04:20 PM

I've found this to be a great resource. It may not be a direct link to indie animator websites, but you can probably use it as a launching pad.

http://www.awn.com/

One of the most famous indie animators, Bill Plympton, has a website here:

http://www.plymptoons.com/

#3 Chris Graham

Chris Graham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Director

Posted 28 January 2007 - 04:25 PM

Thank you. I should've said 'anime.' I would like to produce a short anime, and I'm looking for some hungry indie animators who can do traditional or current trends for anime production. Something like a 5-10min. I'd love to go to Japanese sites, but boy is there culture so exclusive, and I doubt I'd get any responses in English. I'm not being judgemental, I've just heard that's the way it is.

So yes, anybody know if this is possible? I have a script. I will be doing my own soundscore in High Def. I just have no experience in producing or organizing an indie anime project, or cartoon however you want to call it. Is $5K for a 5-10min realistic in the indie spectrum? I guess it all depends on what I want in particular as far as drawings, fx, etc. thanks

#4 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 28 January 2007 - 05:03 PM

How about Brickfilms.com, that place is great.

Edited by Matthew Buick, 28 January 2007 - 05:04 PM.

#5 Andre LeBlanc

Andre LeBlanc
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 January 2007 - 05:50 PM

I'd say 3-5k is more realistic for the 2-3 minute realm. The most time consuming aspect is the extreme detail that anime cartoons tend to have in their matte paintings and backgrounds. The animation itself can be limited, and still work well if planned properly.

I went to school for 2d animation several years back... and I'd say half of our class was interested in learning anime style cartoons, while the other half was interested in the more Western style. You may want to hit up an animation school, and see if there are any students interested in working on your project. It may help with your budget. If you live in a large enough centre, you'll probably be able to find some sort of program. The problem is, many traditional animation schools have been transformed to 3d.

#6 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 29 January 2007 - 03:18 AM

3dcafe.com that's the big one.
Newtek.com
3dcommune.com
cgsociety.org
Planet3d.com
guru3d.com
hash.com
That should get you started. You could also do a search under the software your using, Lightwave, Maya, 3d Studio Max. Bryce, Poser, whatever. What are you using? B)

OPPS sorry, I didn't read your anime part till just now. I never did much with 2d. I had Coral draw but found it difficult to use and too limiting. I'll leave these up for everyone else.

#7 tony hancock

tony hancock

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:38 PM

... and I'm looking for some hungry indie animators who can do traditional or current trends for anime production. ...

I don't know about 'hungry' (as that sounds like you want them to work for very little cash) but if you are offering any pay then you could advertise for them at CGJobs (part of the CGSociety).

CGJobs website - http://jobs.cgsociety.org/

CGJobs is soon introducing a "Value Ad" - especially for those employers / projects where money is limited. The job ad would run for 7 days and with 2.5 mill visits per month to the site thats a lot of exposure! Keep an eye on the site and the Value Ad will be avail within about a week.

CGJobs also supports community / open source projects and will give free advertising to such projects on application - more info from me - tony@cgsociety.org

#8 Chris Graham

Chris Graham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Director

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:13 PM

thanks for the replies, very much appreciated.

I'm looking for something like Ninja Scroll style anime. If that's even possible. I've also heard of some good Flash animations. I'm really looking for anime. thanks

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Opal

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS