Norm Li
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Vancouver, BC

Posted 28 January 2007 - 05:01 PM

Hello,

Please take 2 minutes to watch my latest reel. Any criticism/comments welcome.

http://www.q-films.com/clips/hi.mov (Quicktime)
http://www.q-films.com/clips/hi.wmv (Windows Media)

Thanks,

Norm

Norm Li
Cinematographer
c. 604.764.5718
o. 604.677.2089
nli@q-films.com
www.q-films.com

#2 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:42 PM

Hey. you have some good looking stuff. One of my observations was that there was a lot of natural lighting, and not so much lighting perse. No real style displayed; which shows people you are good at shaky cam, jib shots, nice compositions...etc, but not great at one thing.

With demo reels, it's all dependant on who's looking and what they are looking for.

Nice looking stuff though. Might want to cut the slower part of the song in half, and catch the attantion sooner.

#3 Mitch Lusas

Mitch Lusas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 02 February 2007 - 01:37 AM

Hey Norm Li,

Do you also go by Chayse Irvin?

#4 Norm Li

Norm Li
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Vancouver, BC

Posted 02 February 2007 - 02:28 AM

We collaborated on a bunch of projects together where he DP'ed and I Op'ed. My reel is a DP/Op mix reel but I'm going to seperate them soon.

N

Hey Norm Li,

Do you also go by Chayse Irvin?

#5 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:12 AM

Might want to cut the slower part of the song in half, and catch the attantion sooner.

I dunno, I liked the beginning better. Just goes to show its all up to the tastes of the viewer...

#6 Mitch Lusas

Mitch Lusas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:34 AM

We collaborated on a bunch of projects together where he DP'ed and I Op'ed. My reel is a DP/Op mix reel but I'm going to seperate them soon.

N

Your reel makes a lot more sense now. It plays out much more like a Cam-Op reel with an emphasis on movement. The movement is very tight in the beginning of your reel. I would love to see your reels when separated.

Your website though is just magnificant. Did you do the 3d? Very nice design, and great to see you with that Arri. What would top the cake would be the ability to see clips of some of your works. All-in-all, very impressive.

#7 Norm Li

Norm Li
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Vancouver, BC

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:20 AM

Thanks,

I have to make the reel cut to the song obviously so there will be a slow and fast part... I think it's a good mix so that it's not all slow and not all fast. I appreciate everyone's comments and I try to cater to most of them but I realized that I won't be able to please everyone :)

A lot of the stuff in this reel I also DP'ed/Op'ed myself. There is also footage in there from other DP's I would like to mention, Chayse Irvin, Steven Deneault, and Shari Bailey. All very talented indie DP's.

My website I designed the layout and someone I knew in Australia did the Flash portion of it.

Cheers,

Norm

Your reel makes a lot more sense now. It plays out much more like a Cam-Op reel with an emphasis on movement. The movement is very tight in the beginning of your reel. I would love to see your reels when separated.

Your website though is just magnificant. Did you do the 3d? Very nice design, and great to see you with that Arri. What would top the cake would be the ability to see clips of some of your works. All-in-all, very impressive.

Edited by Norm Li, 02 February 2007 - 11:21 AM.

Abel Cine

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products