Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:55 PM

Hey everyone,

So here's the deal. I may have the chance to shoot a portrait of a semi-prominent figure here in San Francisco, in his office. I plan on simply posing him at his desk for a wide shot. I'm counting on a sunny day in the city if I'm lucky, which means I should have daylight streaming in through the pair of windows behind his desk.

I am shooting Kodak 7217 200T, so I plan on leaving the daylight uncorrected. However, in an attempt to pull a semi-Storaro effect, I wanted to backlight my subject with a regal purple. But I know I'm going to get a good amount of backlight from my uncorrected daylight source.

So, is there anything anyone could suggest to alter the color temp of the daylight so it shows up purple on the back of my subject? I want to leave the windows hot and blue, so I don't want to gel them with ND or anything.

I have access to some nook's that are rigged to sit on the floor. I was thinking of gelling those with a certain grade of CCRed to mix with my daylight source and manipulate it into the purple end of the spectrum. But I'm going to play around with an HMI, DVcam balanced to tungsten and various gels to see what could possibly get me close to what I'm looking for.

Below is a basic MSPaint sketch of my setup, any suggestions will be appreciated. Oh, and I don't have a budget for testing this out beforehand, so I'm hoping to alleviate any concerns through research.

Thanks!

http://img.photobuck...ayorsOffice.jpg

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank, 29 January 2007 - 12:56 PM.

#2 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 29 January 2007 - 01:14 PM

Err. poop , hows about a couple of 9 lites with purple gel behind your subject , as a3/4 backlight , or on the floor behind ?? . Will be interested what others say . John Holland.

#3 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3061 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 January 2007 - 02:39 PM

I think you've either got to gel those windows, or see if you can change your blues to purples in post. Try it in Photoshop first, see if you can do it without wrecking the skintones.

#4 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 29 January 2007 - 02:42 PM

I think you've either got to gel those windows, or see if you can change your blues to purples in post. Try it in Photoshop first, see if you can do it without wrecking the skintones.

Thanks Stuart, but neither of those options will work for me, as I said, I don't want to gel the windows. Also, I plan on doing very minimal stuff in post, only slight color corrections at most. So I'm looking for a practical way to do it in camera. But thanks anyway.

Anybody, anybody? :)

#5 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 29 January 2007 - 03:54 PM

Thanks Stuart, but neither of those options will work for me, as I said, I don't want to gel the windows. Also, I plan on doing very minimal stuff in post, only slight color corrections at most. So I'm looking for a practical way to do it in camera. But thanks anyway.

Anybody, anybody? :)

Nope, not without one of those two options. :P

#6 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 30 January 2007 - 12:24 PM

I think SOME people aren't quite understanding me ;)

I don't want the entire image to be purple...only the backlight.

Anyway, unless anyone has any suggestions I'm gonna start testing and see what I come up with

thanks!

:)

#7 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 30 January 2007 - 12:30 PM

did you read my suggestion a couple of days ago ? John .

#8 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 30 January 2007 - 12:51 PM

did you read my suggestion a couple of days ago ? John .

Yeah I did, thanks John! I'm going to consider those 9 lights. Just a straight purple gel I think might mix strangely with the approx. 5600K daylight from outside. I think my gel will have to lean more towards red. I considered the Mauve gel, but it cuts down 4 stops! eek!

Looks like testing of course, as always, is our best option.

thanks again!

#9 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3061 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:06 PM

If I understand you, you want to leave the windows in the back of shot unchanged, at 5600k, but have the light that hits your subject to be purple. Why?! :huh:

If those windows are letting a lot of light in, then you'll need something pretty powerful to compete. John Holland suggested 9-lights. It's going to take something like that to overpower daylight, even at short range. Purple gel is going to suck up a lot light from whatever lamps you use.

#10 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:39 PM

If I understand you, you want to leave the windows in the back of shot unchanged, at 5600k, but have the light that hits your subject to be purple. Why?! :huh:

It's just a look I'm going for. I'm not going for naturalism with this shot. What I'm doing are portraits (basically) of people throughout this city. They're all going to be someone stylized, some of them with a glamour element and with most of them, obviously, I will want to implement some form of experimentation in color.

The Slider

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks