1 reply to this topic

#1 Scott Imler

Scott Imler
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:36 AM

Hi GUys this is a question or comment sent to me by an editor after we shot some footage in 24p 2:3:2 pulldown which he thought was shot in 24PA 2:3:3:2 pulldown. If it makes sense to you can you help him out with his confusion. We are going to test in both modes to help him but in the mean time if anyone identifys with his question feel free to write. Heres his e mail to me:
[quote]

I just took a look at it again and analyzed the frame sequence. It is a 2:3:2 sequence like you said ? not advanced but the weird thing is it is 2 duplicated frames, followed by 3 duplicated frames, followed by 2 duplicated frames which was looking like an advanced stuttering when I was looking at it. My 720P sequence has to be progressive so any pulldown introduced with the 2 frames that would normally show interlacing is not there. However that does not explain the 3 duplicated frames in the other part of the pulldown sequence. Perhaps it is a 720P thing and that 1080i would would work better. So a tape with examples of both would be a good test. I will copy Reza on this because I imagine he will have to get the deck brought back in. In the meantime I think they did a test in FCP through firewire so I will take a look at that footage.

Thanks to anyone that can shed some light I am the shooter not the editor.

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 03 February 2007 - 10:23 AM

The Varicam (and presumably the HDX) always records 60P -- not 60i. Your editor is seeing the frame pattern the Varicam uses to spread 24 progressively captured frames across 60 progressively recorded frames: 3:2. Only it's complete progressive frames, not fields. I'm a shooter not an editor and therefore not familiar with the post technique involved, but there is supposed to be a way to tell the edit software upon ingest how to recognize the actual frames and discard the buffer frames, restoring a progressive 24P pattern with no added frames.

It sounds like your editor is confusing the added buffered frames with added pulldown fields. Since the recording is 60P, not 60i, there is no "pulldown," nor could there be a 24P "A" pulldown pattern. If your editor needs to create a 24P timeline, he needs to find the way to tell edit system how to recognize the buffered frames and discard them. If he needs to create a 60i timeline, the 60P pattern should convert directly as is, with each frame becoming one field.

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Opal

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Glidecam