#1 heath franklin

heath franklin

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Producer

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:40 PM

hi, i've got a full set of zeiss super speed super 16 primes to go with our 16package. i'm thinking of buying the pansonic p2 200 series dvcproHD camera. since the lenses should cover the chip completely, does anybody make an adapter to use the lenses with one of these video cameras? i tried redrock (they only do 35mm) and p+s (tried twice and never heard back from them, way to go..!). any help would be appreciated...

anyway had any results?

#2 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 February 2007 - 05:41 PM

Sorry, there's nothing out there to make it work.

#3 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 February 2007 - 04:53 AM

hi, i've got a full set of zeiss super speed super 16 primes to go with our 16package. i'm thinking of buying the pansonic p2 200 series dvcproHD camera. since the lenses should cover the chip completely, does anybody make an adapter to use the lenses with one of these video cameras? i tried redrock (they only do 35mm) and p+s (tried twice and never heard back from them, way to go..!). any help would be appreciated...

Hi Heath,
did you check out this thingie here?

PS Technik VDF

I mean the Pana isn't listed on the compatible cams list, but still, this thing CAN attach 16mm lenses to a small camcorder. So maybe there is a way to modify this to use a larger camera. I don't know about the optical quality of the adapter though. Might or might not be good enough (even the first Mini35 I shot with, wasn't THAT good, the second one was way better.)
And furthermore, I don't see any problem with modifying a Mini35 kit with an adapter on the PL mount to use 16mm lenses. The only problem I do see is, that when using smaller lenses, the ground glass in the Mini35 will receive a smaller image. Maybe you can zoom the HVX200's lens in a little to frame the smaller image and still focus on the matte glass. (Does anyone know whether the 200 has a macro mode??)

If you want, I can try to call the guys at PS Technik in Muenchen and ask whether they see any way of doing that.

Best regards, Dave

#4 heath franklin

heath franklin

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Producer

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:16 PM

i don't think the 200 has a macro mode. if you want to call them and let me know, great. thanks.

I mean the Pana isn't listed on the compatible cams list, but still, this thing CAN attach 16mm lenses to a small camcorder. So maybe there is a way to modify this to use a larger camera. I don't know about the optical quality of the adapter though. Might or might not be good enough (even the first Mini35 I shot with, wasn't THAT good, the second one was way better.)
And furthermore, I don't see any problem with modifying a Mini35 kit with an adapter on the PL mount to use 16mm lenses. The only problem I do see is, that when using smaller lenses, the ground glass in the Mini35 will receive a smaller image. Maybe you can zoom the HVX200's lens in a little to frame the smaller image and still focus on the matte glass. (Does anyone know whether the 200 has a macro mode??)

If you want, I can try to call the guys at PS Technik in Muenchen and ask whether they see any way of doing that.

Best regards, Dave
[/quote]

#5 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 February 2007 - 07:58 AM

i don't think the 200 has a macro mode. if you want to call them and let me know, great. thanks.

I dropped them an email in German, let's see if they respond, else I'm gonna call them!

Best regards, Dave

#6 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:23 AM

JVC will be offering a 16mm lens adapter for their HD 110, HD200, HD250 cameras. Looks like it will be available in a couple of months and it doesn't have a ground glass screen. The pictures I've seen from it look very good.

#7 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 February 2007 - 02:16 PM

The 35 format lens adaptors specifically will not work with the 16mm lenses. Not only will the 16 lenses not cover the image area, but the rear optical housing may protrude too far and physically damage the adaptor.

One cannot simply put a film lens on the front of most video cameras. For one thing, the video lens has to be removed. For another, these cameras are designed with three chip sensor blocks that use prisms instead of a single flat sensor surface as on film. The glass is designed to focus differently.

JVC's adaptor in very nice and we've done some testing on the prototypes. It is important to note that it does not affect depth of field in any way because it does not use an intermediate focusing surface. But it does deliver a very clean, sharp image that allows the qualities of the camera to come through far better than the standard video lenses currently available for that camera.

#8 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 February 2007 - 12:27 PM

The 35 format lens adaptors specifically will not work with the 16mm lenses. Not only will the 16 lenses not cover the image area, but the rear optical housing may protrude too far and physically damage the adaptor.

Yep, second that. P&S just replied to my mail. They say you can't use any of their adapters. Bad luck here. Maybe that JVC thing turns out nice!

Cheers, Dave

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

The Slider

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc