#1 Jason Reimer

Jason Reimer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Student
  • Rochester, NY

Posted 02 February 2007 - 05:01 PM

Has anyone seen or heard anything about Seraphim Falls? I've seen the trailer twice now in theaters, and I'm really curious to learn how it was shot, as it has a pretty distinct look to it. There seems to be plenty written about the story, but I'm only interested in details about the cinematography; I'd rather judge the story for myself without being prejudiced one way or another beforehand by someone else's review. So far all I've been able to find out is that it was shot by John Toll (which is enough to warrant seeing it, whenever it comes out around here) on some sort of Panavision cameras. So anything you guys might personally know about it, or if you've got links to any articles written, would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Jay Reimer

#2 Patrick Neary

Patrick Neary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, OR

Posted 02 February 2007 - 05:34 PM

Hi- I apologize in advance, this isn't much of a tidbit, but I had the rare treat of meeting Jim Tynes (the Gaffer) last year in Santa Fe, I believe they had finished up the night before with the NM shooting and were waiting to head out to Idaho or Oregon to shoot waterfall stuff (I think they ended up shooting here in Oregon). He was really enthusiastic about using these large Griff-type reflectors that were perforated to help deal with some of the wicked winds that were happening around Taos. He also said they finished several exterior days shooting well beyond the point where their meters could read anything- "wide open and hopin'" as AC's are so fond of saying...I can't remember if he said they were pushing the stocks at that point or not.

Maybe someone here was on the shoot and could offer a little more-

#3 Jason Reimer

Jason Reimer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Student
  • Rochester, NY

Posted 02 February 2007 - 07:53 PM

Hi- I apologize in advance, this isn't much of a tidbit, but I had the rare treat of meeting Jim Tynes (the Gaffer) last year in Santa Fe, I believe they had finished up the night before with the NM shooting and were waiting to head out to Idaho or Oregon to shoot waterfall stuff (I think they ended up shooting here in Oregon). He was really enthusiastic about using these large Griff-type reflectors that were perforated to help deal with some of the wicked winds that were happening around Taos. He also said they finished several exterior days shooting well beyond the point where their meters could read anything- "wide open and hopin'" as AC's are so fond of saying...I can't remember if he said they were pushing the stocks at that point or not.

Maybe someone here was on the shoot and could offer a little more-

Thanks Patrick, no apologies necessary. That's exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to find, and hopefully AC will have something about it eventually. Now if I ever see the movie, I'll keep my eyes open for your little tidbit. Thanks again, bro!

Jay Reimer

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19760 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 February 2007 - 02:11 AM

All I know is that they started production in New Mexico during the last two weeks of our production of "Astronaut Farmer" -- I was too busy to try and visit their set, but I heard they shot the same spectacular sunset that I captured for the final scene in my movie. So I'm curious if it's in their movie too.

#5 Jason Reimer

Jason Reimer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Student
  • Rochester, NY

Posted 03 February 2007 - 04:36 AM

All I know is that they started production in New Mexico during the last two weeks of our production of "Astronaut Farmer" -- I was too busy to try and visit their set, but I heard they shot the same spectacular sunset that I captured for the final scene in my movie. So I'm curious if it's in their movie too.

I hope it is! I'd be curious to see what their take on that same sunset would look like.
Thanks, David.

#6 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 February 2007 - 05:34 AM

I was too busy to try and visit their set, but I heard they shot the same spectacular sunset that I captured for the final scene in my movie. So I'm curious if it's in their movie too.

Gee David, didn't your producer have the foresight to put a copyright on that one? ;)

#7 Clément Brewer

Clément Brewer

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Student

Posted 31 October 2007 - 05:27 PM

Hi all,
I think this is the only sunset sequence of Seraphim Falls. [see attachment]

Attached Images

• 488477.jpg

#8 Clément Brewer

Clément Brewer

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Student

Posted 31 October 2007 - 05:29 PM

(frame grab #2)

Attached Images

• 489493.jpg

#9 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19760 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 31 October 2007 - 05:35 PM

Yes, that's the same sunset we used for the last shot in "Astronaut Farmer". Ours was timed a little more orange though, and it was on-screen for awhile, unlike the quick shots in "Seraphim Fall" where it was part of a chase montage.

Posted Image

Also, they were shooting in the mountains, miles away, and their shot is later, just at the tail end of the light.

#10 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 31 October 2007 - 06:32 PM

Someone should put that under the trivia facts on imdb ;)

#11 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 31 October 2007 - 06:35 PM

I VAGUELY remember seeing a commercial for this film when it came out. All I really remember is seeing Brosnan's goatee. But it's now #1 on my Netflix queue :)

#12 Ignacio Aguilar

Ignacio Aguilar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Madrid, Spain

Posted 01 November 2007 - 09:46 AM

"Seraphim Falls" is a good movie and John Toll's anamorphic cinematography is great.

Too bad it didn't reach the big screen outside a few cities in the US.

#13 William A Chapman Jr

William A Chapman Jr
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Other
  • Oly, WA, U.S.A

Posted 01 November 2007 - 02:17 PM

I agree it was a good movie although not a "blockbuster" I enjoyed it.

#14 Nick Evert

Nick Evert
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Minnesota

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:59 AM

I watched this on DVD the other night- great movie. I imagine the logistics must have been very challenging. I do plenty of shooting in the snow up here in Minnesota, but nothing in the mountains like they were!

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Technodolly

CineTape

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks