Photo

Powering arrilites from domestic mains power supply (UK - 240v)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Anderson

Peter Anderson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Student
  • London

Posted 03 February 2007 - 07:05 AM

Ive recently got my hands on a couple of arrilite 600s and they're socketed with 16 amp IP44 sockets. I want a converter from a 13amp three pin to a 240v 16amp IP44 socket with an RCD in between so I can use them on domestic plug sockets found around the house (UK) - Are they available on the net or will i have to build it myself. Any help and safety advice would be much appreciated.

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 03 February 2007 - 03:42 PM

If the lights belong to you, there's not reason why you can't replace the 16 Amp connectors with 13 Amp plugs. The alternative is to have some adaptor 16Amp/13Amp cable tails made up, either by an electrician or if you feel qualified yourself. You can just plug the RCD (most DIY stores have them) into the wall socket, then plug the tail into the RCD.

You'll also need extension leads, nothing damages lights like not having long enough extensions. They just keep falling over otherwise.

http://www.tlc-direc...240v/index.html

However, I can only see an adaptor to a 13 amp socket here and I've only seen tails being used with the 13 Amp plug on sets.

A local electrical wholesaler who supplies the construction industry etc. will have the 16 amp connectors.

#3 Peter Anderson

Peter Anderson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Student
  • London

Posted 03 February 2007 - 06:00 PM

If the lights belong to you, there's not reason why you can't replace the 16 Amp connectors with 13 Amp plugs. The alternative is to have some adaptor 16Amp/13Amp cable tails made up, either by an electrician or if you feel qualified yourself. You can just plug the RCD (most DIY stores have them) into the wall socket, then plug the tail into the RCD.

You'll also need extension leads, nothing damages lights like not having long enough extensions. They just keep falling over otherwise.

http://www.tlc-direc...240v/index.html

However, I can only see an adaptor to a 13 amp socket here and I've only seen tails being used with the 13 Amp plug on sets.

A local electrical wholesaler who supplies the construction industry etc. will have the 16 amp connectors.

Thanks for the advice, i decided to make the tails with an in line rcd in the middle - then if i need to power additional lights i could plug a splitter into it and not worry about surges and the like. Cost a few bob though but im a stickler for safety and i figured it would save me hassle in the long run.

#4 Kim Sargenius

Kim Sargenius
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:59 AM

The alternative is to have some adaptor 16Amp/13Amp cable tails made up

Brian,

I've come across something like that on lights from AFM here in Australia. There initial inventory here was all brought over from the UK.

They all had some big adaptor plug dangling off them and the prep tech used some specific UK term for the little jumper cable they used - 'turnover' or 'change over' or something like that? You familiar with what I'm talking about? Just curious about the lingo :)

cheers,

Kim Sargenius

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC