#1 kaligardner

kaligardner

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 February 2007 - 02:06 AM

I just want to shoot some titles/credits for my film. I've shot credits for super 8 on my LCD computer screen, and I've shot an LCD screen with video-- both ended up with good results and no roll bar. But is 16mm different? I don't think it is... but I want to make sure before I actually do it. I've asked somebody, and he said that it might end up distorted if I don't make sure there is a specific preference chosen on my Mac, and he also mentioned that I might want to shoot it using the stop-motion (1 frame) button. I don't know... It's just very important to me that I don't get any roll bars. I also have to shoot this by tomorrow evening, so any quick reponses would be great!

Thanks

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 February 2007 - 02:11 AM

You shouldn't get any roll bars with an LCD screen.

#3 kaligardner

kaligardner

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 February 2007 - 02:19 AM

Thank you!

#4 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 05 February 2007 - 04:38 PM

If your really worried just shoot it at 18 or 12fps. Personally I have had no problem with shooting LCDs with video (29.97 and 24p) so it should not be an issue.

#5 John Mastrogiacomo

John Mastrogiacomo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 210 posts
  • Other
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 05 February 2007 - 04:42 PM

If your really worried just shoot it at 18 or 12fps. Personally I have had no problem with shooting LCDs with video (29.97 and 24p) so it should not be an issue.

I have shot an LCD screen (Dell 2000FP) with an Eclair ACL S16mm camera with a 172 degree shutter at 24fps and all was fine. :D

#6 John Hall

John Hall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Best Boy
  • Toronto, Canada

Posted 05 February 2007 - 05:54 PM

It's funny you should post this, as I am planning to do almost the exact same thing with a bolex, except I'm going to be shooting an element of a vfx shot (crackling electricity / lightning), to be combined later on an optical printer.

The concerns that initially came to mind were:

-Black level. Will the monitor have enough contrast that I can expose the image normally (or perhaps a bit over exposed) and still have the blacks black.

-Resolution. With text, this will probably be a greater concern to you Kali (I'm assuming that's your real name, you need to follow this board's rules on display names & signatures). Are they any concerns about what size monitor should be used to film off of? I was considering finding someone with a good size HD television and outputting from my computer to the monitor's dvi input. I would imagine resolution issues would be especially important in 16mm.

Good luck with your shoot, please post your results here so we can benefit from your experience.

#7 David Shawl

David Shawl
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Steadicam Operator

Posted 17 February 2007 - 06:29 PM

I have shot titles from within Photoshop with a 16mm Bolex with great sucess. I have a 19" LCD for my computer. I turned off all lights and the LCD is the only source. I shot all the way open. Good luck

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Tai Audio

The Slider

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies