#1 Chris Durham

Chris Durham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York, NY

Posted 05 February 2007 - 10:55 AM

I'm shooting video on a shoestring budget. The set is an apartment interior, and I want to be able to control the daylight a little. Can I get away with a couple of 4800K photofloods and white balance to a blue source to get something daylight-ish? Will that look funky if I'm using tungsten lights inside? Thanks.

#2 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:26 AM

I'm shooting video on a shoestring budget. The set is an apartment interior, and I want to be able to control the daylight a little. Can I get away with a couple of 4800K photofloods and white balance to a blue source to get something daylight-ish? Will that look funky if I'm using tungsten lights inside? Thanks.

From my experience you should be able to get away with that. To simulate a window I once bounced a 3200K light off a blue IKEA plastic bag, because production didn't get any CTB gels. To be sure try to shoot a test before the shot.

Aside from that you could always gel the windows a little. Watch out for continuity though! The sun moves quickly!

Best regards, Dave

#3 Matt Workman

Matt Workman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • NYC

Posted 05 February 2007 - 12:08 PM

Wow the Ikea bounce trick, that is genious. Really that is priceless.

If you can afford a $20 tunsten-to-daylight gel pack you will have an easier time. Daylight doesn't have one temperature so if you are matching window light you have to be consious of the time of day.

The usual formula is tungsten (3200k) + FULL CTB = (5100-5400k) But a lot of cheaper tungsten lamps are much warmer so you need more CTB, like FULL and 1/4 or 1/2.

http://www.bhphotovi...oughType=search

If you can afford some kinos with daylight bulbs that is the hands down easiest way to go, without HMI's. IMO. And they are really cheap to rent.

:ph34r:

Matt

#4 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 February 2007 - 12:39 PM

Wow the Ikea bounce trick, that is genious. Really that is priceless.

At times you have to use what is there! Improvising rules! Really, these are the times I enjoy most when shooting.

Cheers, Dave

#5 Chris Durham

Chris Durham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York, NY

Posted 05 February 2007 - 12:49 PM

Thanks Gentlemen.

I was actually thinking of dropping some black cloth around the apartment's patio and running the light from out there so I don't have to worry about matching window light. I can get hold of the gels pretty easy. That sounds like a good way to go. I'll do some tests and see what kind of results I get.

CineTape

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Glidecam