6 replies to this topic

#1 marc barbé

marc barbé
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Director

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:10 PM

The Eclair ACL 1,5 user's manual says film can be loaded emulsion out or emulsion in indifferently, just as long as the film enters the first two rollers of the mag emusion out. Does this mean you can just twist the film before sliding it between the rollers? Wouldn't that create a tension problem and endanger proper registration?
Marc Barbé.

#2 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:44 PM

The Eclair ACL 1,5 user's manual says film can be loaded emulsion out or emulsion in indifferently, just as long as the film enters the first two rollers of the mag emusion out. Does this mean you can just twist the film before sliding it between the rollers? Wouldn't that create a tension problem and endanger proper registration?
Marc Barbé.

do they perhaps mean that you put the roll in and the film comes off the left or the right depemding if it is Ei or EO. Winding film emusion out seems to be a european idea.

#3 Craig Knowles

Craig Knowles
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Director
  • Cleveland

Posted 05 February 2007 - 10:37 PM

do they perhaps mean that you put the roll in and the film comes off the left or the right depemding if it is Ei or EO. Winding film emusion out seems to be a european idea.

That's what I've done -- just load the roll accordingly with the film coming off the roll clockwise or counterclockwise depending on where the emulsion needs to be when it arrives on the other side. That seems a lot less dangerous than putting a twist somewhere in the film path.

#4 Bernie O'Doherty

Bernie O'Doherty
  • Sustaining Members
  • 232 posts
  • Other
  • Newark Valley, NY

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:09 PM

[You got it right. No twisting and shouting involved. The bottom line is to ensure that when the film comes through to the front of the pressure plate, it is emulsion out.
Does not matter if it's a 9 shape or a 6 shape in the feed side.
Without twisting the film, ask yourself "Which way do I have to place the roll on this feed side, so that the film emulsion is facing out when it goes through to the pressure plate". Then continue to the bottom of the pressure plate and push through to the take-up side. The film continues without twisting onto the take-up core.

#5 Kenny N Suleimanagich

Kenny N Suleimanagich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:25 PM

Winding film emusion out seems to be a european idea.

I beg to differ, you're right to an extent. The CP-16 and Mitchell 16 and Frezzi, though basically the same camera, wind out on the take up side.

#6 Bernie O'Doherty

Bernie O'Doherty
  • Sustaining Members
  • 232 posts
  • Other
  • Newark Valley, NY

Posted 06 February 2007 - 05:59 AM

Marc asked about loading the Eclair ACL. My answer was specific to that camera only,

#7 marc barbé

marc barbé
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Director

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:41 PM

Marc asked about loading the Eclair ACL. My answer was specific to that camera only,

Thank you, Bernie. Somehow I thought loading the film clockwise might be a problem (lack of imagination on my part, I guess, or too much of it...)
Regards,
Marc.

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport